Vero V Crashes When Trying to Forward or Skip

Hi,

With my new Vero V, if I skip forward or try to fast forward, the movie will just stop and the device will freeze. Cannot use the remote to stop the movie or anything, the only option is to power it off and restart it. Also, I have noticed when using the right arrow on the remote to skip, I can only press it once, wait for the video to skip and then press it again. If I try to press the right arrow button multiple times to speed up moving to a part of a movie I want to get to, then Vero will freeze and I have to physically turn the power off and back on again.

My movies are on a new QNAP NAS using SMB on a gigabit network. I did try to use NFS but after a number of attempts I have given up as I find it too complicated.

Would it be worth adding a 2.5gb usb network adapter to the Vero V to see if this would help improve the bandwidth? My guess is that it might be my network. I am using network cable not wifi.

Thanks,
Shai

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I have just enabled the logging and tried a couple of movies, which I know had the issue but they did not cause the Vero to freeze up.

I will try a couple of more movies over the next few days.

Sorry for late reply, I was not able to replicate the issue exactly, but I have tried again today and the movies are buffering a lot, the CPU seems to be over 100%. Here is the log file:

URL: https://paste.osmc.tv/lijewizaru

What are the mediainfo of the file you try play?
Login to OSMC via ssh and Install mediainfo sudo apt-get install mediainfo and then run mediainfo <File>

Afterwards share the info here using </> format button.

But by the looks of it, maybe the build in SMB client of Kodi is struggling. You could try kernel mount points.
File sharing with a NAS, media server, windows share or other device

I have installed mediainfo but could not work out how to use it. I am from a Windows background, so do struggle with Linux.

I used findmnt command to see what is mounted and could see: -/mnt/192.xxx.x.xxx/4KMovies
-/mnt/192.xxx.x.xxx/3DMovies etc

I changed directory to mnt but then could change directory to any of the folders listed above.

I have read this and other helpful guides as I wanted to use NFS instead of SMB, tried for days on end but I got stuck and I could never work out how to fix it. I have now given up as I just wanted an easy solution to watch movies.

Hi,

This shouldn’t be necessary. 1Gbps will be plenty.

My guess is you are probably playing ISO files. I believe each time there is a seek, the entire ISO needs to be parsed which is quite slow. I recall us having some issues with seeking in 3D ISOs (but not MKV) and @tanio99 knowing about this.

If you have an MKV file, could you try seeking with that?
My guess is that the ISO will eventually seek (but it will take a long time). Could you try waiting a while to see if it does recover? I am not proposing this as a solution.

Kodi v21 has some ffmpeg improvements, but I am not sure if there will be any benefit here. It might not even be the same issue, but I know 3D ISOs have suffered issues with seeking

Sam

Yes this is correct, they are all ISO images, 150 of them! I don’t have any 3D movies in MKV and would not want to convert them all, so I guess I am stuck.

Only problem is Vero locks up, I have left it overnight a couple of times and it was still stuck on the same part of the movie. Only option is to turn off the power, which I am reluctant to do regularly.

I’m guessing this has nothing to do with network speed, just the way the software has to parse when seeking? Even if I was to use NFS instead of SMB, this would not help? Upgrading to 2.5gb network will not help either?

In which case, I can’t really use the seek function too often.

Moving to Kernel mounts should help quite a bit. Moving to NFS will also help.
if you still have issues with that we can help you.
Suggest to start with the autofs article in the wiki

I had a look at your log. There’s nothing in there that would indicate a hang :frowning: . I’ll have a look at the weekend and try to reproduce that issue here.

I will have another try with this but as I have already spent a number of days trying to get this to work, I suspect I may have to take you up on your offer of help. :weary:

Thank you very much. If it happens again, I will post another log in case it helps.

You actually seem to already have succeeded, you may just need to change your sources to use the kernel mounts

/etc/auto.nfs.shares /mnt/CosmicNAS5/4KMovies autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=2511,timeout=15,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18291 0 0
/etc/auto.nfs.shares /mnt/CosmicNAS5/Movies autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=2511,timeout=15,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18291 0 0
/etc/auto.nfs.shares /mnt/CosmicNAS5/3DMovies autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=2511,timeout=15,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18291 0 0
/etc/auto.smb.shares /mnt/192.168.0.135/4KMovies autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=2511,timeout=15,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18291 0 0
/etc/auto.smb.shares /mnt/192.168.0.135/Movies autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=2511,timeout=15,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18291 0 0
/etc/auto.smb.shares /mnt/192.168.0.135/3DMovies autofs rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=2511,timeout=15,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18291 0 0

How do I do this? I could not see the shares or the files within the shares (can’t remember which now) when trying NFS. In the end I just went with SMB as it was easier and just worked.

If I do get NFS working, how will I know if I am using NFS or SMB? Sorry for all these questions, I do struggle with command line activities now.

Don’t worry about NFS in the moment let’s start with SMB Kernel mount as you already have done that.

@darwindesign would most likely suggest to use path substitution but that would need some work on the command line
[HowTo] Repairing File Paths with Path Substitution

So you would do something like this

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>smb://192.168.0.135/</from>
    <to>/mnt/192.168.0.135/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

If you want to avoid doing this manual work on the command line only other way is to remove your existing sources and add them again from “Local Filesystem”

1 Like

Thanks for this. I will have a look at this when I get back from holiday.