Vero V hangs playing UHD rips

Jim,

The log set includes both the log of the crash/freeze - kodi.old.log - and the log after the reboot - kodi.log (which has no bearing as it is not the log when the crash happened but logging cannot be turned off until the system is rebooted and the “grab-logs -A” script uploads both logs).

It can be clearly seen (kodi.old.log) that on 5-20-2024, at, or immediatley after, 11:30:05.533 [EDT] the Vero V was no longer operational.

When I realized the system had stopped working I rebooted, verified by the start of kodi.log at around 11:35:43 [EDT].

I have seen many of these logs, and when the system freezes is cannot write to the log files, no matter how many of them or how they are named.

You still haven’t provided any technidcal proof that “persistent logging” would supply any new information in this regard.

Chris

Hard to advise without persistent logs. Maybe the easier solution is to reinstall OSMC.

If you create a journal directory at /var/log the journal/kernel log information will be stored there and by that becomes persistent. Currently this information gets lost on any new boot and so we do not know what happened before this freeze/crash. With some luck there will be some information about a crash if that happened at all.

Ah yes, I reread your post - it’s the kernel logs, not the kodi logs.

The last error took a long time, almost got through the whole movie which is a rarity.
The log is here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/pevepicala

Seems nothing was logged between 13:27 (when I booted to start playback) and 15:39 (the boot after the freeze).

Although I did spy on the log a few times (journalctl -r) and there were many instances of:

May 20 15:32:39 zztime kernel: RTW: WARN cfg80211_rtw_scan (wlan0) : scan abort!! BusyTraffic
May 20 15:32:39 zztime kernel: RTW: cfg80211_rtw_scan(wlan0)
May 20 15:27:39 zztime kernel: RTW: WARN cfg80211_rtw_scan (wlan0) : scan abort!! BusyTraffic
May 20 15:27:39 zztime kernel: RTW: cfg80211_rtw_scan(wlan0)
May 20 15:22:39 zztime kernel: RTW: WARN cfg80211_rtw_scan (wlan0) : scan abort!! BusyTraffic
May 20 15:22:39 zztime kernel: RTW: cfg80211_rtw_scan(wlan0)
May 20 15:18:05 zztime kernel: RTW: rtl8822c_phy_bf_set_gid_table: STA1: gid_valid=0x0, user_position_l=>
May 20 15:18:05 zztime kernel: RTW: rtl8822c_phy_bf_set_gid_table: STA0: gid_valid=0x3fe, user_position_>
May 20 15:18:02 zztime kernel: RTW: rtl8822c_phy_bf_set_gid_table: STA1: gid_valid=0x0, user_position_l=>
May 20 15:18:02 zztime kernel: RTW: rtl8822c_phy_bf_set_gid_table: STA0: gid_valid=0x3fe, user_position_>
May 20 15:17:39 zztime kernel: RTW: WARN cfg80211_rtw_scan (wlan0) : scan abort!! BusyTraffic
May 20 15:17:39 zztime kernel: RTW: cfg80211_rtw_scan(wlan0)
May 20 15:12:39 zztime kernel: RTW: WARN cfg80211_rtw_scan (wlan0) : scan abort!! BusyTraffic
May 20 15:12:39 zztime kernel: RTW: cfg80211_rtw_scan(wlan0)
May 20 15:07:39 zztime kernel: RTW: WARN cfg80211_rtw_scan (wlan0) : scan abort!! BusyTraffic

Another freeze, another persistent log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/idasatexos

Thx, perhaps it was not clear enough:

1. activate debug in the mediacenter GUI (if not already done)
  2. activate persistent journal/kernel (if not already done)
  3. reboot the system twice
  4. reproduce the issue
  5. upload the complete log set by grab-logs -A or use the GUI method, post the URL here (this should contain all archived kernel logs)

That’s all you can do, hopefully this now contains something useful.

Ah… wasn’t sure if I needed to set debug on as well as setup the persistent logging.

https://paste.osmc.tv/epenixolev

Yes, thx. We’ll discuss this internally.

WiFi and eMMC share the same SDIO interface.

You seem to be stressing both of them simultaneously, which is why you may have experienced WiFi latency.

You could try wait for your library to settle down (scraping & thumbs extraction) and I think things will improve.

Otherwise I would definitely recommend reinstalling OSMC.

Cheers

Sam

Is that a different archtecture than the Vero 4k+'s that work flawlessly?

Also I never autoupdate the library, I do it manually only when I’ve made changes and wait for the scan to stop; maybe 5 file adds in a week. The library database is not local it’s via a mariadb on the network. Why would local storage be stressed under these conditions?

Thank you,
Chris

No. Same design.

Fresh installation. Problem not resolved.
Still pausing when shelled in, also sometimes remote button pushes are ignored (might be same pausing issue).
Here’s the debug logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/yazalewolo

Do you mean that video playback paused but you were still able to use the shell?

If so that means the system isn’t crashing which is good.

As a temporary test have you run an Ethernet cable to definitely rule out WiFi issues?

No, I meant when I was setting up the new install the Vero V was doing the same thing as previously - arbitraily slow to respond to keyboard input at times. As well as not always respomding to the remote.

It’s a full freeze/crash during playback; no ping, no shell, no remote. The logs were sent after the power cycle reboot after the crash.

Mostly reiterating:

I picked up a 100ft cat 6 cable and laid it across the floor to connect to the Vero V. It played 2 UHD rips in row, no issues, and there were no pauses when I shelled into the unit.

The wifi access point (whichever one was being used at the time) is in the same room (no walls or obtacles) less than 10 feet away from the Vero.
I have regularly repeated this failure with 3 different access points now - a Unifi AC-Pro, a Unifi U6-Pro and (a few days ago I brought in an Aruba AP-25 in order to verify there wasn’t some strange incompatibility between the Vero V and the Ubiquiti gear. No luck using the Aruba either.

My 2 Vero 4k+'s have none of these issues and play the uhd rips fine with all of the access points.

Chris

This is useful to know and rules out a hardware issue. If you experienced problems with Ethernet I would have suspected problematic RAM given the odd hangs.

I have a UniFi AC Lite and haven’t been able to produce problems with it. I’ll take a closer look at your logs and the WiFi state.

Do you have separate networks for 2.4 and 5Ghz?

Yes, also posted earlier, the Vero V fails with both 2.4 and 5GHz. The Vero 4k+'s work with either band and any of the 3 access points.

I suspect defective hardware - the radio.

Thanks for clarifying. If the radio is defective it should simply not work. I am of course happy to swap the device over but want to narrow down the problem first.

The WiFi module in the Vero V is different to 4K and 4K+ and there might be a quirk or corner case.

I will have a think about it and get back to you tomorrow.

Can you leave the device on with WiFi connected and see if it freezes? Is it only freezing when playing something?