Vero V Remote and Receiver

Hi colleagues :slight_smile:

I just ordered my Vero V a couple of days ago and was wondering, if one can pimp the included remote, to control the volume of my Yamaha RX-V475.
At the moment I am using Yatse as my OSMC remote, which offers a Yamaha plugin, with which I can switch the volume buttons to control my Yamaha via network, instead of the OSMC/Kodi volume.
Is it somehow possible to manipulate that delievered OSMC remote so that the volume IR command will issue a different command, so that the volume of my receiver gets + or -?

The commands are sent via network, e.g. curl, and look like this for power on as an example:

/usr/bin/curl -X POST -H “Content-Type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8” -d “<YAMAHA_AV cmd="PUT"><Main_Zone><Power_Control>On</Power_Control></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>” http://192.168.1.213/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl

Or is there a way to replace the kodi volume keys by default with such commands or a small .sh script, so that the Vero remote will automatically also do volume + or -?

Or any other idea, except CEC, as the receiver is a bit older and currently only decodes audio via a HDMI splitter, so no CEC commands will pass to it.

It will be very slow and I don’t think holding down the button for big changes will work out too well, but you can keymap a button to run a python script. If you need to run a bash script you would have to make a python script that calls the bash script like…

import subprocess

cmd = '/bin/bash /home/osmc/script_down.sh'

results = subprocess.run(
    cmd, shell=True, universal_newlines=True, check=True)
print(results.stdout)

The keymap would be something like…

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
	<Global>
		<keyboard>
			<volume_down>RunScript(/home/osmc/script_down.py)</volume_down>
		</keyboard>
	</Global>
</keymap>

Keymap reference [here]

It might be a bit more sane to just use multichannel PCM instead of passthrough and use Kodi’s volume control if CEC isn’t an option. The remote can’t send IR as it is RF only and basically just acts like a keyboard would.

Hm ok will give it a try, python is also good, doesnt need to be bash … :slight_smile:
Just waiting for the Vero V and then Ill set it up and test a bit, thanks so far to the input <3

Should ship by the end of the week.

Sam

Ok Vero V arrived yesterday, already implementing lots of stuff, also got lots of questions … hehe :slight_smile:
But starting here again: I created the scripts in .sh and the wrapper in .py, that works already.
Regarding the keymaps, my “.kodi/userdata/keymaps” folder is empty, where are the files used for the RF remote that was shipped along with the Vero? Or is it somehwere “builtint” and can only be altered with an extra file I create in that folder with a xml like graham posted?
Or is it changed/adjusted via GUI?

/EDIT: nevermind, got it to work :slight_smile:
Created a custom file in the keymaps folder and it simply works and is fast enough, very nice, love it <3

To answer the question anyway since I haven’t updated that guide I linked to in a while, the custom keymap is actually part of Kodi now as we upstreamed it so it would also work on other platforms. It can be found [here] and Kodi just loads it when it sees any of the OSMC RF remotes. Any valid keymaps you put in your userdata keymaps folder will override individual mappings.

I’m not sure what your referring to with what graham posted. I don’t see a post from him and I’m the only one around here that normally fields keymapping questions.

wops sorry, confused the names as I was reading in another post in parallel and mixed up the names, sorry :frowning: