Vero V & SSD

Hi,

Looking to increase my download speed where disk speed seems to be the bottleneck. Would I see much of a speed increase using a SSD via the usb 3.0 port. I already have 6 drives attached via the same port on a powered hub, if that has any bearing.

Thanks

How do you intend to format the drive? If you will format it as ext4, then you should see significant speed improvements

Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes, I guess I’d use ext4. I’d probably have 2x: 1 for downloading and an other for unpacking. The number of drives on one port won’t be an issue?

Your connected to a single port/bus so its speed is going to be shared, and therefore capped below an overall max transfer speed. What I mean by this is if you were using a typical PC that has multiple USB ports that are independant and you plug in two drives directly to these ports, when you transfer from one to the other then this can happen at the full speed of the bus or the slowest drive. However if you plug both these drives into a hub then it is going to be more of a one then the other back and forth type of thing. I don’t see where a SSD is going to significantly alter the slowdown of a shared bus outside of just making whatever r/w its doing happen faster and therefore take less of a time slice.

1 Like

@sam_nazarko Do you mean over NTFS for example?
I have a Samsung SSD mounted permanently to my Vero V.

I’m seeing write speeds cap out consistently at around 25-28MBps with the Vero.

NTFS has to go through FUSE, so it will be slower.

exFAT would be a better choice if you want Windows compatibility.

I ran a quick test by creating an exFAT and EXT4 partition on the same SSD as the main NTFS partition.
The difference in write speed is pretty surprising!

NTFS:   28.8 MB/s
exFAT:  162 MB/s
Ext4:   237 MB/s

1 Like

All speeds will be more than sufficient for playback.
Huge advantages for file transfers when using exFAT or ext4 though.
If your drives are pretty much just going to be write once read many (WORM) than it’s not a huge deal and SMR drives may provide the best bang for your buck, data ingestion will just be slower.
If the drives are going to be married to the Vero, ext4 is best, if you plan on unplugging them and moving them around to other devices exFAT is your next best option.

I was only interested in improving download (write) speeds. Playback has been fine.
Given my test results above, that I primarily use a Windows laptop and that my Usenet connection maxes out at around 100 MBps, exFAT is what I’ve gone with.