VERO VS ATV Anyone like to share there real world exsperiance

[quote=“kram351, post:17, topic:5096”]
Fire Tv box did not have the ability to connect to external storage[/quote]

Well that depends on your definition of VERY well.
For example how VERY well does the Fire TV play mpeg2 HD TV ?
How VERY well does the Fire TV output 23.976fps video for perfect video sync ?
How VERY well does the Fire TV Frame Rate Switch based on the fps of the source video ?
How VERY well does the Fire TV deinterlace HD content ?

If you don’t need or value those in a Kodi media player, then yes it runs Kodi VERY well. :wink:

Comparing the two as just a pure 24p Kodi - movie / TV playback device here:

A bit of info first on an the ATV1/CHD - Crystalbuntu2 running Kodi Isengard alpha2:

• Airplay and iOS 8.3 works.
  • the Kodi GUI is noticeably snappier compared to running Gotham.
  • movies startup times are quicker
  • user adjustable skip steps included for skipping forwards and backwards through video
  • video resumes quicker now when skipping backwards through video
  • 25/50fps - 720/1080i mpeg2 TV no longer crashes Crystalbuntu (I’ve fixed it)
  • 24p(23.976fps) video output still works like it always has for perfect movie sync.
  • Refresh Rate Switching is still a bit slow compared to say a RPi2
  • the Hardware is over 7 years old and still going strong !

Now Vero from what I understand as a pure Kodi player:

• 23.976(24p), 29.97 and 59.94Hz video outputs are missing so no 24p video sync.
  • deinterlacing mpeg2 HD Live TV is poor, especially for fast action sports. 1080i at 50fps just does not work properly.

If you value properly 24p synced 1080p Video output and even basic 1080i/mpeg2 Bob deinterlacing, you would still use a ATV1 running Crystalbuntu+CHD.

An interesting comparison would be the Vero vs the Amazon Fire TV from a pure Kodi media playback device perspective.

I don’t have any experience with ATV. I “upgraded” from a rasp A to Vero. My experience with the Vero has been less than awesome. its just a cheap piece of hardware. If the return policy wasn’t so cheesey, I would get my money back. The built in wifi is a joke. The chassis and overall build quality is really low end. It locks up regularly, forcing hard reboots. Pull the power enough times and OSMC becomes corrupted and you’ll need to re-image all over again. I did this about a dozen times before the SD card itself was trashed and couldn’t be images properly.

At that point I gave up and bought a raspberry B+. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Don’t waste your money on the Vero. If the ATV suits your needs, stick with it. If you want something new to fiddle with, get a Pi B.

Hi wrxtasy, I would be very curious how you installed Isengard on your CrystalBuntu 2 distro. For me, since the update servers are down, I wouldn’t know how to update my aTV with CB2. Could you share this with the community? Thanks in advance!

He already did.

Yes it comes from factory with usb storage . My understanding is there’s a issue after kodi install .And also with the updates from amazon . Thank you for the info

Yes it comes from factory with usb storage . My understanding is there’s a issue after kodi install .And also with the updates from amazon . Thank you for the info

I haven’t seen other Vero users report this. Can you provide a photo or a video of this or tell us what you were doing when the device locked up so we can find out what’s up?

The Vero can be powered off safely via the Power menu. If you’re unplugging it when it has ‘locked’ up but it ends up corrupting, then this would suggest that an addon has frozen the device.

We ship SanDisk SD cards which have a lifetime warranty. They can sustain many millions of read-write cycles which would be the equivalent to writing to them constantly (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for several years.

Please start a new thread for help.

Sam

It locks up at any given point. Navigating the UI, half way through a movie or tv show, or even in the startup. So no, I can’t provide you a picture that would tell you which one specific thing is causing it to lock up. If There was something specific, I would say so.

It locks up during fresh installs off OSMC. It’s not an addon.

It’s good to know the SD card is covered. Your policy doesn’t cover anything else on this hunk of crap. My options are, send it back to Europe at my own expense so you can tell me that whatever is wrong with it is somehow my fault and charge me more to fix it, or just throw this thing away.

Thanks but no thanks for this turd. I’ll put it in my electronics fail bin.

I don’t have anything to do with the Vero hardware. Until today, I hadn’t even seen one in real life. So, whereas Sam has to maintain the professional demeanor of a modern product supplier, I can delight in having no such restrictions.

Dear Luppercut,

When offered avenues to remedy your situation you instead chose to flail your arms and roll your face over your spittle-flecked keyboard like some apoplectic, spasticating drama queen.

You have made it fairly obvious that you put more value on bitching and moaning than getting a solution.

In fact, I think it would be fair to doubt that you even bought the product. I mean, that’s a far more likely reason why you wouldn’t provide any logs or pictures or RMA the SD card than a) not being competent enough to be trusted with both the internet AND a camera or b) not being able to afford the buck twenty it costs to post a micro SD card to, pretty much, anywhere in the world.

What usually happens in this situation is that Sam will respond nicely once again and try to resolve your complaint, but I expect you will have already pissed off to lurk under some other bridge, like some OCD-suffering nonce with Tourettes, and we will never hear from you again.

So in parting let me say, I sincerely hope you have as bad a reaction to the meds the authorities are bound to end up having to force down your throat, as you have had to this product you claim to have purchased but suspiciously refuse to get fixed.

Have a day.

3 Likes

Will you sell it to me for cheap? Still better than just trash it, don’t you think so? :wink:

Eloquent!

I just offered up my experience with the Vero. He trolled the conversation, not me. Believe it or not, I did buy this device, mainly because it was billed as a more powerful and stable platform for OSMC and Kodi than the raspberry. In my experience, it is not. The end.

Guy tries to help you and you call that “trolling”?

You sound like someone’s Nan using a new word she overheard on the bus, despite not really knowing what it means.

Put up or shut up; send duri that Vero you insist you totally own and are totally throwing in the bin.

Still happy to help, as mentioned in our previous correspondence, but we’ll need something to go on to get an idea of where the problem lies.

Sam

Called it.

1 Like

cb2 never had 23,976hz output. (Or 59.94hz) I remember vaguely that OE using Nouvau driver supported 59.94hz at some point, but never 23,976hz. (When they were forced to use that driver instead of the nonfree driver) The hardware is probably capable of 23,976hz, but that was never implemented (imho you can’t really blame CB2 for this) Anyways, cb2 never had anywhere perfect video sync.

Interesting, please define “never had anywhere (near) perfect sync” ?
ie what artifacts or frame repeats should I have been looking for all these years when my TV switched into 24p mode playing 23.976fps movies.

First of all, you are making the false assumption that “true 24p” is 23.976hz/fps. 24p is 24fps, but for simplicity sake, it’s also used for 23.976fps. But it’s nothing “true” about 23,976fps va 24fps. If anything, 24fps is the “true” 24p mode. I suspect the phrase “true 24p” in the context of 23.976fps, is something that started in the Kodi forums. To be clear: It’s bollocks.

Since cb2 does not support 23.976hz, it means that a 24hz mode is used for 23.976fps movies. You TV switching into 24p does not mean 23.976hz, it means your tv switched into 24hz.

There will be a frame doubling occuring each 41seconds.

1 Like

I agree that True 24p should be referred to as 24p only aka 23.976/24fps. I will edit my post to make you happier :smile:

The problem occurs when users mix up the following.
From a widely read Wiki entry:

And as you stated “There will be a frame doubling occurring each 41seconds.”.

The next question I ask is why do ATV1+CHD users see no Frame Doubling occurring every 41 seconds like you would see with a media player that does not support 23.976fps(24p) video output ?
Are the HDMI clocks adjusted when playing 23.976fps content ?

That wiki entry not necessarily wrong, but it’s bogus. You can mark 23.976fps video as 24fps with whatever container you want. Unless you really go for a manual override (which would mean you also need to resample the audio to go faster), something a novice wouldn’t do, no 23,976fps video is going to marked as 24fps by any sooftware.

As for your next question, I fail to see the relevance. Most users don’t even see a difference when playing 23,976fps over 60hz. (A so called “jittery” 3:2 pulldown). That doesn’t mean the playback is “perfect”.

No, the HDMI clocks are not adjusted when playing 23.976fps. All TVs that support 24p, should support both 24hz and 23.976hz. The engineers knows this. (Although some TV’s might support only one or the other) Of course no TV was never marketed as supporting both 24p and “23.976p”, but internally they should support both.

Some extra information for the technically inclined:
The Intel Haswell IGP do an excellent 23.976hz. Even my Nvidia GTX 970 doesn’t come close, for some reason it’s supposedly 23.976hz mode is stuck at 23.973hz. My old Mac mini 2011 with AMD GPU also did an excellent 23.976hz (when running Windows).

Another thing, even though 24hz in theory only means a frame doubling each 41 second, an accurate and precise 23.976hz give that extra film-like smoothness that has to be experienced to abe ppreciated. Some of the explanation, I suspect some of the explanation is that the clock of the Nvidia hardware in the ATV is quite jittery. You also might need to use a REAL display to appreciate subtler differences. (A Hz-driven display like a Pioneer Plasma, not a LCD which might do it’s internal pulldown processing)