Vero2 crashes when stopping or seeking h264

Hi all,

Since the latest update on Vero2 it crashes when stopping or seeking a h264 video. Pausing and resuming works without crashing.

h264 mkv - crashes
h264 mp4 - crashes
xvid mkv - works
xvid avi - works

Link to logs and config:
https://paste.osmc.tv/fahixusala

Anyone knows what causes this and how it could be fixed? Is there anything I can do?

Best regards,
Marcus

If you turn off audio passthrough do the crashes stop?

The crashes remain after turning off audio passthrough.

It also crashes on a mkv+h264+aac video.

This ones a bit of a head scratcher. Are those drives connected through a powered hub?

The drives are connected individually to one usb port each.

So they are both pulling power from the Vero? I would suggest putting a file on either internal storage or something like a thumb drive and then unplug both of those drives (they are spinning rust type correct) and see if the file you copied is able to work correctly.

But the drives both have their individual power supply, not getting power through usb. Is it still worth trying?

No. This test would be to find out if their was a power delivery issue but that would only be a concern if the drives were being powered from the Vero.

TBH I’m at a loss at what is going on here. This behavior doesn’t like up with any known issue that I’m aware of and I didn’t spot anything that looked problematic in your logs. Maybe @sam_nazarko can spot something I’m missing. :crossed_fingers:

Kodi doesn’t seem to be crashing. Is it freezing, or is it actually crashing with a sad face?

Sorry, I used the wrong word then. I don’t get a sad face, it is just freezing, and after about 5 sec the mobile app says Kodi is “offline”, and then I have to pull the power cord and reconnect it to restart the device.

I’d recommend disconnecting the drives and seeing if you can reproduce with local playback

The freezes are reproduced with the same video files on local playback, with the drives disconnected.

BUT

While testing this, I came upon some files WITH h264 that didn’t produce a freeze. Initially there seemed to be a file size issue, but that’s not entirely the case, as I’ve had 3gb files not freezing, and as small as 1.7gb freezing. I’ll make more tests to try find what the “freezer” files have in common.

You might consider temporarily testing with default Kodi settings. This would be the easiest way to figure out if the problem is coming from some setting or plug-in, or if it is lower level. If your are concerned with loosing your user data you can backup first with the My OSMC add-on.

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

Unfortunately, with Kodi in default settings (above method) the freezes still occur in the same way.

If it is freezing with default settings your next step would be a clean install unfortunately.

Ok will do. Trying to find a guide on how to do that, but didn’t find any. Is there a wiki for that?

On the top of this site you should see a “download” link where you can grab the installer to make the media. The “support” link above will get you to the wiki for further information such as the guide your looking for.

Also as mentioned there is a backup option in My OSMC that you may want to take advantage of to save some effort in setup and configuring your library. Although in your case I would suggest to test a file that is currently displaying the issue before restoring just to make sure the issue is not persisting.

I seem to have linked to the Vero 4K reinstallation instructions. The ones for the Vero 2 can be found at the following location.

It’s basically the same.