Vero2 status?

The store is not working, so I assume that the new vero2 will be available soon ?

1 Like

I think you are right, according to this :smile:
Very exciting.

Our store is unavailable in the interim while we refresh it with some great new offerings, including the widely anticipated Vero 2, but we hope to be back next week! If you’d like to stay up to date with OSMC news, feel free to sign up to our Newsletter!

OSMC has a new website

Thanks for link ! I’m hoping to get one in time for christmas.

Hi

With the launch of the new site we are closing the store for a few days to re-design it and refresh some of our products.

The Vero 2 has been in production since August, but I am not keen to put it up for sale just yet until we know we can meet demand. The plan is to launch it in December and ship it in early January.

We are in a much stronger position to get things done on time this year as there is effectively less to do. OSMC is now a stable base (compared to just Alpha quality this time last year) and we have an established supply chain and logistics setup.

If you follow the site semi regularly or sign up to the Newsletter you’ll know when it’s released.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Any news on Vero 2?
From what i read it should be announced today.

1 Like

Was waiting anxiously as well, Sam is kinda quiet, so probably busy :wink:

2 Likes

Hi guys,

We’re working hard on the launch and the new Vero should go on sale shortly

Cheers

Sam

2 Likes

The Vero 2 is in the store now :slight_smile: Mine is ordered :slight_smile: Thanks Sam!

Any deals for those of us who would like to upgrade our original Vero?

Specs on the store only say Full HD output, so no UHD support? As much as I like all the other things, I don’t really want to get a new media device that I have to replace again soon. I know there isn’t much UHD content as of now, but I’m sure that will change in 2016.

Check https://twitter.com/SamNazarko/status/672611021983522816 , it’s an AMLogic S805, no 4K support.

In the store there is nothing about HD audio, it supports it?

Hi

This won’t be changing in 2016. The primary carrier for 4K will have to be disc, as Internet connections aren’t good enough for most users and this won’t change for some time. Unfortunately Blu-Ray still seems to be lagging, so it’s unlikely 4K will make any headway. It would have been great “marketing” to declare 4K support, but instead we focused on technologies that really matter, like HEVC.

Sam

1 Like

But ‘only’ 8-bit HEVC right (just to manage expectations)?

Yes that’s correct.

Perfect! I am glad you decided not to jump on the 4K marketing bullet train!
4K, I do not know any home where it would add value in the living room or bedroom. If you correctly calculate distance and screensize, I strongly believe 80% of everyone here has absolutely no added value with 4K.
I am not against 4K, it will be very useful for VR glasses (1080P is too low when the screen is an inch from your eyes). But for a TV on a distance, you see no difference. Not now, not in 5 years.

Also, most devices with 4K support only have limited 4K support (30FPS which is OK for video but not for games or animated video).

HEVC is far more important in the near future!
Also I like the fact you choose the ARM Cortex A5. It is the best one being extremely power efficient!

I do have 3 questions:

• Does the USB port deliver enough power for a USB3.0 harddrive? This is a very practical feature of the RPi2 (USB_MAX_BOOST).

• Why did you not go for 5GHz WiFi? I am not a fan of using WiFi for OSMC since it is also my NAS but 5GHz with a good router should be OK. Also where I live there are 55 2.4GHz SSIDs all sharing the same frequencies.

• OSMC CLOUD? could you share more details on your vision? I am a huge fan of SyncThing. Still have to install OwnCloud but together it is a powerful solution. Will OSMC Cloud replace OwnCloud? I believe that could be a welcome feature and a realistic one since it is basically a webserver allowing you to browse through files and download 1. Or are you trying to replace SyncThing? That is a lot more complex and SyncThing has come a long way already.

I would like to know that too. I recall Sam mentioned somewhere in a forum post that there would be some good news for current Vero-owners.

Yes – the good news was the OSMC Cloud announcement made earlier today.

Sam

Just found the reply from Sam about that.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed over the original Vero, and was hoping for some kind of upgrade offer.

Likewise. I was an original Vero backer from 30th Nov 2014, so was hoping for a discount to upgrade to Vero 2. A cloud solution next Summer isn’t much of a carrot.

1 Like