Vero4K Constant crashes and freezes - time to replace?

So I’ve had the Vero since 2018 - most of it has been a great ride, plays anything we throw at it.
The last year though, I know if I’m playing bigger or 4K files, I have to reboot the box first.
Even then, if we’ve played multiple shows or movies, it inevitably hangs or crashes to sad face.
Super frustrating.

The next step is a request for logs, but the very steps for enabling logs is to reboot, which always resolves the issue and then nothing shows in the logs, or they become way too large to sift through or even upload.
When I notice it starting to lag, if I got to System Info, i can see CPU is pinned at 100%.
This has been mentioned before as a Kodi memory leak. if so, it’s been a few releases since it was mentioned that hopefully it would be addressed. It has not.

I have a gigabit adapter for the ethernet cable, and all USB drives are attached vis a powered USB3 TPLink hub.

No pirate addons, or even a lot of regular addons other than some skin helpers, extended info and whatnot. Running Aeon Silvo skin, which I prefer.

All that said, is there anything I can do to address this?
Is getting a new Vero 4K+ the next step? Does it have a better CPU/memory to help with playing the larger 4K files (up to 50GB) or mitigating the Kodi memory leak?

I have a pretty large library ~2000 movies, ~300 TV shows, but should be well within the capabilities for the box afaik. I’m certainly not the largest, but I do it all via attached USB not a NAS or server box.

Thanks for reading, I’ll provide any additional info if anyone has suggestions or questions.

Have you tried a fresh install and see how it acts then? You might also consider trying a new power supply. As for an upgrade to a 4k+ model it has a faster ethernet connection but otherwise will be much the same.

Thanks, I have not. Assume there are steps to do just that on the board? Will look.
I’ll check the specs of the original PS and see if I have a spare lying around too I guess.
And if gigabit ethernet is the only diff, then, thanks, I’ll hold off on a new purchase for now.

Some logs should let us see what’s going on. It doesn’t sound like a hardware issue to me from a description of your problems.

Sorry, have had some family health issues and insane work the past few weeks. Hasn’t been any quality Vero time.
Will look into logs this weekend in hopes to provide something useful for you guys. Appreciate the patience.

Log uploaded after 100% cpu and memory then sad face.
https://paste.osmc.tv/jaduvadodo

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been travelling.

I hope your family are well.

You seem to have this message constantly in your logs:

Sep 11 18:57:10 osmc kernel: ax88179_178a 1-2:1.0 eth1: kevent 2 may have been dropped
Sep 11 18:57:10 osmc kernel: ax88179_178a 1-2:1.0 eth1: kevent 2 may have been dropped

There could be two issues:

1. The Ethernet adapter has failed, or the connection to the USB port is loose.
  2. The powered hub is no longer delivering sufficient power to power all of the peripherals on your device.

This doesn’t look like a Vero hardware issue, but it does look like some attached hardware has failed.

I’d try the following:

• Use the internal Ethernet port temporarily (unplug the external adapter) – does it solve the problem?
  • If not, does removing the USB hub and using the internal Ethernet adapter resolve the problem?

Memory leaks and CPU usage aren’t the same. I can see that the CPU load is high because of constant resets and renegotiation (thousands of interrupts per second) with the attached USB Ethernet adapter.

Cheers

Sam

Ok, I’ll start disconnecting things.
I am using an Amazon Basics gigabit adapter for better transfer speeds but my powered USB hub isn’t actually powering anything as all my drives have their own power source.
Will try this out this weekend.

Disconnected gigabit adapter and only 1 crash since the weekend. Will continue to monitor

1 Like

Apologies for late reply. Still experiencing grief with the 4k.
Watch a lot of large 4k content and a reboot is mandatory before even watching stuff. Cpu and memory usage extremely high.
Fast forwarding a 4k file now randomly causes a green screen that requires the box to be powered off before resuming.
Will try with only 1 externally powered drive next but this is fairly frustrating.

This will be fixed in the next update and is already fixed in staging.

FFwd green screen issue fic here