Vero4K crashes to red

The last 3 or 4 days, my Vero4K has crashed overnight. I use it to watch video files or live TV and when I’m done, I turn off the tv. The next day, the Vero 4k’s led is red and I’m forced to unplug and replug it in to get it back.

Everything is up to date. Has any one else been experiencing this? It’s been going on for less than a week.

Is the device warm to the touch when this happens?

It doesn’t have to be that the Vero is dead, it might just be in suspend.
Did you try to press remote buttons in that situation?
Can you try to connect via http or ssh in that situation?

If the user is able to instantly remedy the situation with an unplug and replug then it’s unlikely to be an overhead issue, particularly if the issue is occurring when the device is relatively inactive, i.e overnight

S

Pushing the remote button doesn’t do anything and when I turn the tv on, it just says there is no input signal. I haven’t tried using terminal to connect when it’s in that state.

Heat wise, it is cool to the touch when I find it with a red light, though I think it seems hotter while it is running. I don’t typically have reason to touch it, but when I do it seems hot.

Right now it’s been sitting there for at least an hour “idling” and the system summary says the CPU is at 64C.

In suspend the HDMI signal is disabled so that would be same report.
Suggest to try to connect either via http (if you have the webcontrol enabled) or ssh (if you hvae ssh enabled) in that situation next time.
Also after reboot you can upload logs maybe they can tell us something.

1 Like

Any new equipment added to the TV or changes in the environment?

Sam

No changes at all to equipment. If I find it red tomorrow, I’ll attempt to log in remotely before rebooting and will report what I find.

Keep us updated

Figures. Two days without issue. I’ll add to this thread of the problem comes back.

Cool – keep us posted.

Sam

Well, the crash to red has started happening again. This time, I didn’t reboot the Vero4k and tried to login in remotely using a terminal program.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work and came back with this error

error type: 1
error code: -113

Any next steps?

The Linux error code -113 means “no route to host”. In this context, that’s a plausible error to see, so it could mean that the operating system isn’t running / has shut down.

If you can’t SSH to the box, you’ll need to pull the power, I’m afraid.

Pulling the power does indeed fix the problem, but unfortunately it’s been happening every few days and means PVR events don’t occur while the device is frozen.

Kinda sucks and I wonder if there are any logs or something that could maybe help determine a cause.

Well the kodi old log you already can provide might give some clue. Otherwise enable persistent logs which would survive the reboot.

To activate and provide such information, please, follow the steps below:

1. login via SSH to the OSMC device, user osmc, password osmc
  2. cd /var/log
  3. sudo mkdir journal
  4. (from now, kernel messages are written to new directories for every boot)
  5. sudo shutdown -r now
  6. now wait for the issue/event which is the problem of this topic
  7. once it happens again and you are forced to reboot the OSMC device or it rebooted automatically, you’ve to identify the right kernel message log:
    7.a) login via SSH and invoke
    sudo journalctl --list-boots --no-pager
    7.b) the lines start with an index id like 0, -1, -2, etc. and contain the date and time when log was started
  8. upload the appropriate kernel log using
    sudo journalctl -k -b <identified index> --no-pager|paste-log
    (replace <identified index> with the real index id, see above)
  9. also, upload the appropriate full log using
    sudo journalctl -b <identified index> --no-pager|paste-log
    (replace <identified index> with the real index id, see above)
  10. provide the returned URLs here
  11. don’t forget to remove the created journal directory otherwise your system’s root file system gets filled
    11.a) login via SSH
    11.b )cd /var/log
    11.c) sudo rm -R -f journal && sudo reboot

Thx for your time. We hope to help you, soon.

I’m keeping an eye on this

Sam

Okay, went to log into the Vero4K this morning and found it crashed again and so have rebooted, followed your instructions 1 through 5. Now it’s a waiting game.

In the meantime, the most current kodi.log is available here and kodi.old.log is here

Thanks.

@fzinken @sam_nazarko

Okay, the device was used today. After its use, at some point it crashed to red. As described above, I rebooted it and followed your instructions.

The kernel log was uploaded to https://paste.osmc.tv/balenudede

and the full log was uploaded to https://paste.osmc.tv/natucudozo

Thanks guys.

Both logs look similar and both are only showing after the reboot evenso the log stored more.
How did you create them?>

-- Logs begin at Mon 2020-01-06 23:54:46 EST, end at Sun 2020-01-12 00:24:30 EST. --
Jan 12 00:11:10 Vero4k kernel: Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
Jan 12 00:11:10 Vero4k kernel: Initializing cgroup subsys cpu

I don’t quite understand what you mean.

I followed the instructions and I then uploaded the log with today’s date (it happened to be index id 0).

Should I have uploaded other ones? I removed the journal directory, so that info has been deleted. Should I redo the procedure?