Vero4k Netflix Add on - many films in 540p only

Hi,

I have Netflix 0.15.2 installed on a Vero4k, along with the latest (mandatory) widevine libraries.

Many of the films are only available in 540p; the same content, viewed from a Roku Express, is either in 720p or 1080p.

Is there a DRM component on certain films (maybe tied to certain distributors) which causes this?

Changing the Inputstream Addon Settings makes no difference - switching from Auto to Manual simply streams the films in 240p; the affected content is shown in the selection list as 540p

Any insight is gratefully accepted.

Thanks
RR

after youā€™ve selected ā€˜manualā€™ for Inputstream, start playback and go to video settings in the Kodi osd, you should then see the available stream resolutionsā€¦

Although 1080p playback struggles on the Vero, 720p is likely to be as high as you can go.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give that a go, thanks

Hi,

Iā€™ve now tested this approach; sadly, whilst it does allow selection from multiple streams, the highest resolution is 480p.

It seems the majority of films available from Netflixā€™s ever-dwindling catalog are somehow capped at SD resolutions when viewed via the kodi add-on.

Thanks for the suggestion though,
RR

TBH I dont use Kodi for Netflix on my Vero anymore, I just use the app on my TV so I can get all the 4k content as well, same goes for Prime.

1 Like

My 21" lcd is old enough to pre-date Smart TVā€™s!

I think only Netflix content can come in 720p/1080p on Widevine L3.
Other studios insist on 480p max.

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately itā€™s not that simple.

Many films, including The Terminator, are in 1080p (which I watch in 720p due to the use of the software decoder)

Cheers,

RR

Then you should be able to watch them in 720p.

Iā€™m not quite following

Sam

The problem is the majority of content is 540p (480p in reality) only. Some films are 1080p. Most arenā€™t

Thatā€™ll be Widevine restricting you

1 Like

Donā€™t know if this might have something to do with it but there is a ā€œnewā€ setting under expert in Netflix add-on: ā€œLimit videostream resolution toā€ set that to 720p and see if that helps, i got Killjoys last episode to play in 720p. And inputstream add-on settings settings to 720p on both resolution options.

I donā€™t know what the default resolution is, since itā€™s not shown until you set it.

This may have changed recently, but the last time I looked, the better option was to set ā€œgeneral decoderā€ to ā€œMaxā€ and ā€œsecure decoderā€ to 720p. That way you limit Netflix to 720p but allow up to 4K on YouTube.

That might be better, since i donā€™t use youtube on Vero4k. I have no experience with it

I believe I got a degradation in resolution on my Vero4K for some Netflix content, after the previous widevine release.
Earlier I was able to stream 720p without issues, but this has taken a turn to the worse.
As of now, I can hardly stream any Netflix content in 720p, without getting just a little lag every now and then.
I have no clue, if widevine is connected to this or if itā€™s just coincidence.

However, Sam and team earlier stated, that Vero4K is not suitable for Netflix streaming and recommended using other devices for that.
This seems more relevant now, but Iā€™m still hoping for Vero4k to handle this better.

@Sam, you talked about some optimizations, that might be within reach.
Any chance this will get an overhaul within a reasonable amount of time ?

Older versions of Widevine offer better performance

Sam

Iā€™m having similar problems with a lightbox streaming service since the update, which I had to have otherwise lightbox wasnā€™t working at all. Only problems with that app though, can stream fine with internet tv. Buffers every few minutes, with stream rate being around 2-8 Mb/sec, and I have a rock solid 50Mb/sec link. Very annoying.