Vero4k OSMC October update audio problem

Hey all,

A couple of hours ago I update my Vero4k to the latest OSMC.
I now audio issues when playing video (which I didn’t have before the update):
Audio initially plays fine. After a couple of minutes, short ‘gaps’ (silence) start, and the audio becomes more and more garbled and intermittent.
A couple of minutes later, audio goes back to normal sounding fine. Another couple of minutes later the intermittent silence and garbled sound reappear.

Any ideas? What info can I provide to help debug this problem?

Kind regards

As always, logs would be most useful!

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

  • enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

  • reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

  • reproduce the issue

  • upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi Brian,
I have uploaded the logs to
Going through them as well…

I see quite a lot of these in the kodi log:

2020-10-19 22:36:43.333 T:3039813856   DEBUG: CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust - CVideoPlayerAudio::OutputPacket - error:72221.199735, adjusted:72221.199735
2020-10-19 22:36:44.308 T:4028625120   DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error 227.960085 above threshold of 100.000000
2020-10-19 22:36:44.433 T:4028625120   DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error 17.960085, last average error: 227.960085
2020-10-19 22:36:44.575 T:4028625120   DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error of 155.878786, start adjusting
2020-10-19 22:36:44.633 T:4028625120   DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error 29.878786 below threshold of 30.000000
2020-10-19 22:36:45.653 T:4028625120   DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error 160.225668 above threshold of 100.000000

Those don’t seem right… but why…

My Vero is crashing since the last update; also seems ActiveAE related

Are you using Bluetooth audio, or have it enabled?

Adjust display refresh rate: Off

When this is disabled, you will always have audio issues.
This won’t be new to this update. I suspect you may be playing new content and the older content wasn’t affected by this.

1 Like

Hmm strange… I’ll set that to ‘Always’ and try again.
The content I played was something I watched before though, no problems before the update.

Well… it’s the first thing I tried after the update… :innocent: since bluetooth was not working before, and I was hoping the update would fix it.
But bluetooth is disabled now (in MyOsmc) and still seeing the same problem.

Next then would be to do as @sam_nazarko suggested.

@sam_nazarko I changed the setting

Adjust display refresh rate: Always ===> Default: Off

but still experiencing the same problem:

In that same logdump
it looks like the problem starts here:

020-10-20 00:33:20.684 T:3380080864 DEBUG: CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust - CVideoPlayerAudio::OutputPacket - error:53507.029873, adjusted:41708.333333

and then seems resolved after:

2020-10-20 00:35:07.871 T:3380080864 DEBUG: CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust - CVideoPlayerAudio::OutputPacket - error:-43021.117090, adjusted:-41708.333333

and reappears again:

2020-10-20 00:36:47.139 T:3380080864 DEBUG: CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust - CVideoPlayerAudio::OutputPacket - error:35214.123943, adjusted:41708.333333

I’ll take a closer look.

Does it happen with all files or only some?



All that I checked have the same problem… doesn’t seem related to a specific video.
I’ll be catching some sleep now, will check back here tomorrow.


There was no change to Bluetooth audio in this update.
But we actually are testing a different bluetooth audio approach which works well with several people.
I can give you the instructions if you want to test it.

But also when you don’t use Bluetooth currently I suggest you change the Audio Setting to HDMI (not Pulseaudio) in Settings.

Scavenging some other posts that appeared today, I have found the solution to my problem:

I also found the a2dp-app-osmc package on my Vero4k. I remember installing it a (long) while ago in an attempt to make my bluetooth headphones work properly.


sudo apt-get remove --purge a2dp-app-osmc
sudo apt autoremove

solved the sound issue described in the topic above.
Everything back to normal, carry on :call_me_hand:

P.S.: Later tonight we’ll see if bluetooth works better than before the update :slight_smile:


Thanks @bmillham, @sam_nazarko and @fzinken for thinking along on this.

After the update had a problem with audio passthrough ONLY with DD+( DD and DTS were passed along happily). Receiver was not recognizing the passthrough DD+ stream.

I had the same package installed.
Removing it and disabling bluetooth solved the problem for me as well.