Vero4K+ review

Firstly, it seems I also have the network issues with my Vero4K+ and Netgear GS348-100EUS switch even in reverse direction I’m getting about 100Mbps less than other desktops, all on Cat6, no router in the way. I’ll report that on the proper thread. I noticed jumbo frames aren’t supported:

root@vero4k:~# ip link set eth0 mtu 9000
RTNETLINK answers: Device or resource busy

Next - jees that power cable is short, its practically useless to me at that length, had to put it next to the TV not inside the cabinet as I wanted to.

Then the OS - its not very Debian-ish IMHO, trying to configure a static IP seemed more like LibreElec, I was expected to edit /etc/network/interfaces and be done with it! Also /etc/fstab is being ignored for NFS4 mounts, so I just installed autofs as I can’t be doing with the lack of options systemd.automount gives me (like no readonly!) I really expected OSMC to be Debian ARM, less fiddled with than Raspbian, not more. Also noticed 3.14 kernel - is that because we only have binary blobs for the drivers?

Speed-wise, I’m not particularly impressed. I’ve not played a whole movie or anything yet, but scrolling through ~1500 movies was no faster than my Pi3 (not even 3B+).

OSMC itself - can’t stand the dumbed-down theme, switched to Estuary so I can actually find Kodi’s settings. MyOSMC colours seem inverted to me - took me a while to figure out that yellow meant “change to this” and blue meant “this is the current setting”. I kept turning DHCP on instead of off.

The packaging is nice - obviously someone took some ideas from Apple, although the outer half-empty shoebox is probably overkill.

Going to try out the Kodi 18 build next, as I’d like to rsync my Atom’s library - wonder if I can get away with the whole or ~/.kodi/userdata/ or will that break anything?

Sorry to hear you’ve got some issues with the device.

What kind of speeds are you getting with iperf3?

Debian hasn’t used /etc/network/interfaces for a while. It’s used Network Manager for a while if you use a desktop environment.

We use ConnMan, and we’ve made it possible to configuring networking via My OSMC → Network. You can also configure via the CLI using connmanctl.

Can you post your fstab line that didn’t work?

Mainline support is being worked on; but isn’t ready yet.

What skin are you using? I’m guessing Estuary?

Just stop Kodi first: systemctl stop mediacenter; and I’d expect you can copy ~/.kodi over completely.

Sam

IIRC, max frame size is 3582.

Sam

Yes Estuary skin, now I’ve configured everything I may change it back (couldn’t find the settings I needed in default skin).

Any documentation on connman. Yes I looked for NetworkMangler too, but I managed to do it via the OSMC addon eventually.

fstab I’ve removed but it was like advised in most threads on here:

fileserver:/share /mnt/share nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

adding “ro” or any options like window size were ignored.

The main entry point is connmanctl. There’s info here (manpage): https://www.mankier.com/1/connmanctl and the Arch Wiki has really good docs too: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ConnMan.