Vero4k+ works fine, Vero4k playback stops constantly

Hi.

I habe some Problems regarding my Vero4k. Almost every movie stops from time to time. I need to press pause and play to continue. This is Full HD and up, DVD rips or other streaming services like Netflix, Amazon or Sky are playing fine.
The rips are direct m2ts rips (makemkv) of my blue ray disks. The files are served by my file server using nfs and a mysql database. No Wi-Fi, just Gigabit Ethernet.
Saturday I exchanged the Vero4k with my Vero4k+, just for testing purposes. (I put the 4k+ at the exact spot with the same cables.)
The 4k+ was playing The same file without any problem, perfectly fine.

I bought the 4k about a year ago, just before the 4k+ was announced. So it was about the latest batch of 4k.

Since the files do not exceed 100mbit/s, I have no idea what is causing this. Can anybody give me a hint, what is causing this?

I can only speculate but it looks like your rips might have been pushing the network and NFS limits. If you were using Kodi-based NFS mounts, you’d have improved the performance by moving to kernel-based NFS mounts (fstab or autofs).

Hmm. The Vero4k+ uses exactly the same mounts. I can understand Kodi mounts being slower than Kernel mounts, but using more bandwith? Does that make sense?

Yes, slower == slower == possible buffering. Same as why using SMB causes problems for some because its slower.

There is no buffering indicator, the movie just stops. I need to press pause and play to get it running again. Usually with buffer problem, the movie restarts automatically.

You asked us to speculate on the basis of minimal information.

In very round terms, a 100 Mbit interface will give you a little over 90 MBits/sec, kernel-based NFS will reduce this figure and Kodi-based NFS, will reduce this further.

If you move to a gigabit interface, you start with somewhere over 900 Mbits/sec. Even if Kodi-based NFS reduces that by 20% (just as an example), you’re still getting over 700 Mbits/sec.

Supply logs then as it’s impossible to guess what may be happening.

I know. Is that a problem? I am trying to understand the problem. Even the answer, “This is absolutely normal, you need to go to Kernel-NFS.” or “Something is really wrong there, should work perfectly.” would be a hint.

Could you please explain this? I can understand Kodi-NFS is slower because Kodi has no direct access to the hardware like Kernel-NFS. This limits the bandwith if the CPU is the limiting factor.
But since the CPU of the 4k is similar to the CPU of the 4k+, the nominal bandwith of the network port seems to be the limiting factor. That’s exactly what i do not understand. Even more, because FHD movies are 20-30mbit/s at maximum.

Try playing the file from local storage to rule out networking as a factor

Without logs, there is no way to speculate what’s happening.

As you correctly observe, the faster network interface raises the bandwidth ceiling.

As @bmillham has already said, without logs, we have little to go on. The quoted movie speeds are new information that you have not provided before. Slowly revealing new information to us in a drip-drip fashion is not the best approach.

2 Likes

In my first post i talked about direct rips (copies of m2ts files) of my FHD-Blu ray disks, these are usually in that range. I had the opinion it was obvious. Sorry.

You also said that you are using MakeMKV. MakeMKV normally saves the ripped file as a mkv.

And regardless of that, @dillthedog s comment is correct as you never mentioned the bitrates of the files.

Networking was the factor. I somehow “solved” the problem by adding an usb3-Gigabit Nework adapter. This doubled the network bandwidth to about 200Mbit/sec according to iperf3 and that seems to be enough for playing problematic FHD-m2ts files.

I used this adapter i had lying around:

https://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-Ethernet-LAN-Netzwerkadapter-USB-1-000-Mbit-Schwarz/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=usb+3+network+adapter+amazon+basics&qid=1564427764&s=gateway&sr=8-3

MakeMKV has two modes, one saves files as mkv, the other as m2ts. I use the 2nd one, as i stated in my first post.

You may have missed the 2nd part of my answer to @dillthedog: