(Very) Minor Object-Based Audio Request

Currently, OSMC displays object-based audio tracks as “Atmos Dolby TrueHD 7.1” or “DTS:X DTS-HD MA 7.1”. It would be really cool if instead they displayed as “Dolby Atmos (TrueHD 7.1)” or “DTS:X MA (7.1)”. For non-lossless tracks, you’d have “Dolby Atmos (DD+ 7.1)” and “DTS:X (7.1)”. This would make the naming more consistent with both Dolby and DTS’ preferred branding, and also emphasize that the tracks contain object metadata.

Of course, I’d really love to see codec icons too, but that’s a much bigger request.

Should wait and see what behavior V18 Leia brings and then check back on this again. Things are likely to change there, but it may be a Kodi issue best reported to them at that point…

AFAIK Kodi doesn’t really have object audio info support in Krypton. I assume the OSMC skin is using the usual filename trick to pull the Atmos/DTS:X info and it should be a simple change to the skin itself and not the actual format detection.

Which skin are you using?

CC @Chillbo – pretty sure we had this discussion recently.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I’m using the OSMC skin, and this question is specific to that skin, not OSMC as an OS.

The object based naming is indeed based on file naming as kodi doesn’t provide these information in any other form.

There’s no preferred naming by DTS and Dolby to my knowledge - at least when it comes to the use in our real world (on disc covers and AVR UIs). AVRs have very different ways of representing the formats in their UI and on discs you mostly can’t see whether it’s based on a lossless or a lossy codec at all. The current approach of the skin is simply to put the object based formats in front of what is provided to our skin as the primary audio track’s format. This long form makes it transparent for everyone - also those who might not be absolutely familiar with the difference between DTS:X and DTS:X MA (just using your example here) - which audio format the object based track is based on.

Makes sense. I still think parenthesis would help a ton (and moving Dolby to the front for Atmos) just to emphasize the object metadata and make it more prominent.
Dolby Atmos (TrueHD 7.1)
Dolby Atmos (DD+ 7.1)
DTS:X (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
DTS:X (DTS 7.1)

I’ll have a look at this when there’s time… It’s noted as a request :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve adjusted the representation… If the necessary information is present in the file name for object based audio AND if the codec of the primary audio track is one that can be the base of such object based audio, it will now be shown as e.g.: DTS:X (DTS-HD HRA 7.1)

It will be available in the next update :ok_hand:t2:

Wow you guys are incredible! <3