Very slow / dropping transfers

Hi I have been trying and failing for the past few days to transfer avi files onto my RaspPi running OSMC.
The setup is a 3TB USB HDD attached to the PI.

Here are the remediation things I have attempted:

• I have blown away the current install and installed the new Jan 2020 release of OSMC
  • I have upgraded the SD card, changing from a 16gb to a new 64gb.
  • I have tried transferring by SAMBA (copy and paste), sFTP (filezilla) and WinSCP.
  • The connection sits and 0 and freezes

I am successfully able to move very small text files to the drive, and am able to delete files form the drive, so it’s not some sort of writeblocked issue. I have also confirmed the drive has space on it sufficient for the files being transferred.

I am running Wifiman on on my phone and it is able to reach the pie and says my Wifi Network is -75gBm (Fine). I am able to ping the pi no problem, but the transfers just sit at 0 and throw do error I can use.

I am unsure what else to try at this point in time, and previously wiping and re-installing fixed the problem, this time, it has not. Any suggestions would be much appreicated.

Reboot your Pi, try some file transfers via SMC, sFTP, WinSCP, whatever, and then upload full logs so we can see how your Pi is configured and, hopefully, get an idea of what’s happening.

Alright, I tried to upload a file via SAMBA and a file via sFTP and a small text file through sFTP. The small file was successful the rest timed out.

http://paste.osmc.tv/uparixamis

The logs are here^^

Nothing jumps out but I see you’re using WiFi on a Raspberry Pi 3. The old Kodi log contains multiple errors, such as

2020-02-17 11:58:09.244 T:1795158752   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 404 for https://api.tmdb.org/3/movie/670064?api_key=f090bb54758cabf231fb605d3e3e0468&language=en:
2020-02-17 17:07:47.063 T:1795158752   ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: Couldn't resolve host name(6) for https://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/tv/77799/tvposter/xena-warrior-princess-5ba3b64b12261.jpg

indicating possible networking issues.

WiFi can be unreliable and the internal WiFi on the Pi can be rather weak, so I think you need to repeat your tests on a wired-only connection, ideally with both the Pi and your second computer being directly connected to the router.

If the problem persists on wired, I’d next suggest that you try to identify the threshold file size at which the hangs are occurring. Choose one file protocol for your test, then identify the point at which it hangs. Move to a different protocol and see if the same occurs.

Thank you so much @dillthedog I figure it must be the network as that is the only item that has persisted. I have put back in the original 16Gb SD card. Which contains the old version of osmc, it seems to at least allow the transfer - but it’s super slow regardless of the filesize. It’s sitting at about 95 kb/s over WinSCP.

Prior to this, I was using a Pi 2 with a USB Wifi dongle - and I actually had the same issue.

Given the setup of my house (router in basement) I cannot wire a connection to my Pi directly.

Would there be any other suggestions to try? I have opened up a 5GHZ band on my router but the Pi cant see it. Would some sort of Ethernet over power / Powerline work as a substitute?

Powerline isn’t much better than WiFi in my experience. You could try a WiFi repeater, but I’ve never had much luck with those either.

There isn’t much you can do about poor WiFi coverage. A router in the basement means that the signal has to make it through a floor. WiFi has enough trouble just making it through drywall sometimes!

There isn’t any way that you can run a cable?

Thanks @bmillham in terms of distance the router is probably about 2m from the Pi, but a hallway runs in between so there’s no real way to get a cable in there. My house isn’t that big - so I am kinda surprised it could be a signal strength issue - I assume the Pi is just kinda crappy in terms of reception.

If the signal has to go through a floor and walls that’s going to be an issue. All of that weakens the signal considerably.

Thanks again - Do you think a new router would help the issue? It’s currently an ASUS RT-N53. I find the router tends to get overwhelmed when there are too many connections / downloads/p2p sessions running. But I do not have QoS enabled at this time.

Networking isn’t really my strength, i downloaded WifiMan on my phone an I am sitting further away from the router than the Pi is, and its saying the signal is -67dBm with only one other network showing. Not sure if this makes sense?!

For testing purposes, you can always move the Pi to the basement. That way, you can see if it’s really a networking problem.

Powerline might work sufficiently well but it’s quite expensive. A significantly cheaper alternative would be a plug-in WiFi dongle with an external antenna. It too might not perform well but, if it doesn’t work, you’ve wasted less money. If you choose the external WiFi adapter route, I’d recommend you check on this forum if it’ll be compatible with OSMC before buying.