Video improvement details

Sure but as my first image proves icons such as the power and setting icons scale better regardless of weather the asset is 4k and fonts look better because of the fact that they are truetype and therefore resolution independent so they scale well before being rasterized by the gui.

How? Some instructions would be nice.

Sure it’s not going to be for everyone, but if you’re going to allow people to set the resolution to 4k then you should provide a true 4k GUI.

OMG… You say you fail to see my point then go on to outline word for word exactly what my point is… Yep you really should give up :wink:

Well of course it’s not possible now… If it was possible then this discussion wouldn’t exist… :man_facepalming:

At some point, rendering the skins at proper 4K with 4K textures would be nice…

BUT: The textures of our skin as well as Estuary’s - which you’re showcasing in post #32 - are not 4K textures. If you check with the actual skin code, you’ll see that Estuary doesn’t have a proper 4K mode which would have to be advertised in the skin’s addon.xml file. The textures packed into the respective textures.xbt are not 4K textures… This is also the case for our OSMC skin.

What this means: On your HTPC you activate a 4K GUI resolution and the scaler of your HTPC is then scaling the skin to 4K - as the highest render resolution of Estuary is 1080p. On our Vero, we don’t use a 4K frame buffer, so the scaling result won’t be the same as on your HTPC, correct (it’s basically a 1080p image packed into a 4K frame without scaling it). The only thing you’re proving with the images you’ve posted is this: Setting OSMC to 4K GUI resolution on Vero will practically disable the TV’s/projector’s internal scaler while Vero will internally render the skin at 1080p and not scale it to 4K. What should make it look at least similar (comparing your HTPC and Vero): set imageres and fanartres to 9999 (to get better fanart quality) and activate 1080p GUI resolution on your Vero. This will practically be the same as what your HTPC does: render the skin at its maximum resolution (which is only 1080p, NOT 4K) and upscale it to 4K (which would be handled by your TV/projector instead of an internal scaler).
If there’s a difference, then it is because of quality differences between your HTPC’s and your TV’s/projector’s scaler. Upscaling a non-4K skin on our Vero with the result of worse performance just doesn’t make any sense as the scaler of your TV will handle that just fine.

But don’t argue that skin’s do support 4K properly as they don’t! :rofl: Image comparisons won’t change the fact that the code says otherwise. And sorry to say this, but the code wins…

Not true… Every skin window is rendered at the width and hight that is defined for the specific window. These normally depend on the skin resolutions I mentioned before (which have to be present in the addon.xml file). Even if fonts are resolution agnostic, they won’t be rendered at a higher resolution than 1080p, if the skin doesn’t have a 4K mode.

The precise instructions are in my original post that I linked to earlier. Proceed at your own risk however.

Currently the cons severely outweigh potential pros. It can’t happen before Kodi can 1) take advantage of 4K from a GUI perspective, 2) support video playback properly with a fixed 4K GUI resolution

Recap:

roidy: Look how amazing 4K GUI looks in Kodi on my HTPC! I want that!
Me/others: Yeah, we don’t have that support on the Vero 4K.
roidy: But it looks so much better on my HTPC!
Me/others: Yeah, but it’s not supported on the Vero 4K.
roidy: “We should be able to set the Vero’s resolution to 4K and get a true 4K GUI” (direct quote)
Me/others: Yeah, we can’t do that right now for various reasons.
roidy: “Because my point is that a 4K GUI looks better than a 1080p GUI and the Vero 4K has no true 4K GUI” (direct quote)
Me/others: Uh… yes… we know…

So there you go.

Also, I suggest listening to Sam/Chillbo. They kinda/sorta (completely) do know what they’re talking about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s calm it down chaps.

When a 4K GUI makes sense, I promise we will do it. For now — it would lead to a suboptimal experience

Cheers

Sam

I suggest you try actually reading the discussion and try to comprehend whats actually being said and not what you want to think is being said.

NOT ONCE HAVE I SAID THAT SKINS SUPPORT 4K…

What I said is:-

Meaning that Kodi is already capable of rendering a true 4k GUI, this has nothing to do with weather a skin is coded for 4k or has 4k assets. Since most of the major large assets in a skin are posters, fanart and the like then this is completely independent of weather or not the skin in coded for 4k or even has 4k assets.

Except the image comparison clearly shows a true 4k GUI is sharper and looks better. Anybody with working eyes can see that… So you just keep looking at your code instead of real world evidence.

Simple question for you and then I’m out… Have you looked at how Kodi skins work? It doesn’t matter whether fanart is cached for 4K rendering, if the skin only renders such images inside the image controls designed for 1080p (with fixed pixel width and hight which are not relative, but absolute values). The image controls define which resolution the images are eventually rendered at, not the cached images’ resolution.

I see that there is a difference in the images you posted and I tried to explain why that is. If you find that real world evidence overrules how the skinning engine actually works and how fanart is rendered and influenced by the skin’s code, then be it… But what you’re stating, honestly, can’t explain the difference.

IMHO, the skin engine is not efficient enough at the current state to be used to render true 4K skins and that’s one of the practical reasons to avoid scaling of skins to 4K on our Vero (emphasis on scaling here as all skins INCLUDING fanart will just be scaled to 4K currently, they will never be rendered at true 4K resolution). 4K fanart takes up a lot of space and skin textures (which can’t be resolution agnostic atm) will do the same. If these issues are resolved, I’d be the first one to bump our skin to true 4K immediately - and vote for proper 4K rendering on our platform.

And yet another example of the fact you haven’t fully read or comprehended this discussion… I state clearly in my first post and even in the first image that this is with fanartres and imageres set to 9999.

Your explanation of setting fanartres and imageres to 9999 clearly doesn’t explain the image quality difference.

In fact you don’t even have to take my word for it, this is something so simple you can test it yourself. Assuming you have a monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p then install Kodi on your PC, set fanartres and imageres to 9999 scrape something into the library and see what the skin looks like at your monitors max resolution, now change Kodis resolution to 1080p and look again… If you can’t see the quality difference then there’s no hope for you.

But I’m done now because you’re clearly the sort of person who wont accept something even when the photographic evidence is right in front of them.

@roidy, I’m not sure that your approach is endearing you to many people. All the people on this forum are volunteers and have a fantastic reputation for helping people.

Experienced people have tried to explain the reason for the GUI being as it is but you are choosing to ignore this.

Personal attacks on forum members are not welcome.

6 Likes

Is there anything that has changed in the meanwhile or is upcoming in Nexus that makes a true 4K GUI possible?

No - it’s something we would consider for newer hardware however.