Video Library Advice (Blu-ray)

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a couple of Blu-rays (at a good price) with the intention of playing them through my Vero4k+. However I need a way to rip these so that Kodi and therefore the Vero4k+ can play them.

My computer doesn’t have a Blu-ray disc drive, though I’m happy to invest in one. For my DVD collection I’ve been using MakeMKV to create my Movie and TV Collection.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice as to the best way to handle Blu-ray discs so that I can include these in my Video collection playable by the Vero4k+?

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:
Ed

Since you already have and are used to MakeMKV, just get a BluRay drive and use MakeMKV to rip them just like you do with DVDs.

Thanks for responding.

The free version of MakeMKV works without restriction for DVDs.
MakeMKV works for a trial period with Blu-rays, but (as I understand it) then you need to shell out for quite an expensive license for the full product… I was hoping to avoid that if possible

It’s still free, you just have to get a new key every time the old key expires. But if you are willing to pay for a BD reader, why not support the software you are using and pay for MakeMKV? It’s a one time fee, and you can use the key on all your systems.

I guess I was just trying to be “tight” or economical.
But it’s a fair point.

I have both a Windows PC and a Macbook Pro. Would you happen to have any advice on Blu-ray optical drives?

Are the external USB ones any good? If so any suggestions? Or would it be better to go an internal one in my Windows PC?

Any USB drive (go with USB 3.0 if you can) would work fine. And if you want to future-proof yourself, get a UHD Friendly drive so you can rip 4K discs. Check out the MakeMKV forums for more information about UHD drives.

1 Like

Thank you very much @bmillham! I’ll do that :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @bmillham, just wanted to say thanks for pointing me towards the MakeMKV forum. I have been in contact with one of the guys there who supply UHD compatible optical drives and have organised to order one.

Thanks for your advice, help and willingness to answer my questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Great news! Enjoy ripping your own UHD discs. What drive did you select?

1 Like

Thanks! I plan to :blush:.

I ended up going with a LG BH16NS55. The firmware apparently needs to be downgraded to be UHD friendly and this is all part of the service with ordering it from this forum member :slightly_smiling_face:

Mine is an older LG WH16NS40. It’s worked great for me.

Since you’ve looked around on the MakeMKV forums, then you probably know these things:

1. Clean new UHD discs before ripping. Otherwise the rip may fail.
  2. New UHD releases may not be rippable for a few days.
  3. Lionsgate Blurays suck. They play games where there are 100s of titles to choose from. Fortunately, you can normally find the correct title from the MakeMKV forums.
1 Like

Thanks! Appreciate the advice. Especially regarding cleaning of new UHD discs before ripping. Good to hear that your LG WH16NS40 has served you well.

The guy ordering mine gave me the option of going with the newer version LG WH16NS60. But I couldn’t justify the increase in price for something that will for all intents and purposes perform the same function.