Video playback too fast/lags, audio OK

Hello,

I’ve recently (about a month ago) updated my Vero4K+/Kodi to the recent level (19.4) and since then my better half is complaining that several of her movies/TV episodes are “broken” in a way that the video first plays like a double-speed (ish) and then starts lagging while the audio is OK.
This was not happening on the version i had before (approx Aug 2021 i think?) so seems like a new bug introduced in one of the recent versions.

I am almost certain that the issue is related with because i don’t have any issue with h264/265. All of the “problematic” ones are quite old things ripped from TV and encoded in various/weird codecs from more than two decades ago.

Kodi Debug: 2.04 MB file on MEGA
MediaInfo: 3.2 KB file on MEGA

Two examples. One from the “speedy” situation (WB logo animation too fast) and other one from the “laggy” state

Any suggestions how to fix that appreciated.

Thanks you in advance!

Hi,

Yes, we need full debug logs:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Can you run that file through makemkv and see if the issue goes away with it put in a new container.

1 Like

@Tom_Doyle Hi Tom, thanks for quick response. The debug logging was enabled and is part of the provided log (together with component logging for video, audio and ffmpeg) during the video play to reproduce the issue. Is that not enough? I’ve just cut out the older logs to reduce the file size.

@darwindesign I was actually thinking about the same. Even though it is more like a workaround at least it might prove that it is a container-related issue. I’ll give it a try and respond back

Good guess. I’ve used MKVToolNix to create the MKV container. The mkv file plays w/o issues so it seems like issue with AVI container? MediaInfo of the mkv file HERE

hi,

the log uploaded provided gives us a fuller picture of the issue.

regards

I don’t know this, but I suspect that the update probably came with a newer version of ffmpg and it may be less tolerant of a sketchy container. I wouldn’t be surprised if you opened the file on a PC with VLC and got some kind warning about it.

AVI files usually have PTS issues and this can cause discontinuities.

Fortunately AVI is a very old container, and you can usually mitigate this by disabling hardware acceleration as the software decoder (ffmpeg) is able to play it due to them being older, lower resolution files.

We have an option for this, where you can set acceleration to ‘HD and Up’ instead of Always. Unfortunately the video is 1280x720p. You can turn off hardware acceleration in this case and I’d suspect that it will play OK without acceleration; but unfortunately you’ll need to turn it back on afterwards.

If you can pinpoint a version where it did play smoothly, then we can look in to it further with a sample file.

Best

Sam