Video stretched at the bottom

Hi,
I have noticed a problem with my Vero 4K. Not sure if this is a new problem or if I just haven’t noticed it earlier. I am running the latest version of OSMC on it.

On some videos, but not all, there is a bar going across the bottom of the screen, where the video gets stretched vertically. This does not happen if I view the video using other players such as VLC. Here is a photo of the problem, it should help explain what’s happening.

It MAY be that the only videos that have this problem are HEVC encoded, but I am not 100% sure on that. Help much appreciated.

Please post debug logs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Debug logs: http://paste.osmc.tv/udizoluvod

Thanks but they aren’t debug logs - please turn on Enable debug logging as shown above.

Also can you confirm that video Black.Mirror.S05E02.720p.x265-ZMNT.mkv is one which shows this problem?

And could you please upload all or part of it to videosam.pl?

I did enable debug logging according to the instructions, but it seems they automatically get disabled when I reboot OSMC.
I can confirm the video, but I am unable to upload it at the moment.

Tried it one more time, this time the setting was kept enabled between reboots.
New debug logs here: http://paste.osmc.tv/tazaluwuca

Most likely not related to your problem but to achieve 4k playback you would need to enable

Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

This particular video is not a 4k video. I tried enabling that setting anyway, but it did not help.

I did however also try to disable “Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec” and that did fix the problem. But that is not a viable solution as now many videos are sluggish and laggy.

I think the problem is the video has a height of 582 which isn’t divisible by 8. If you could upload a sample somewhere that would be useful so we can see if kernel 4.9 has the same problem so we can fix it there. We won’t fix it in the current kernel 3.14 which you are running.

I made a small sample using VLC and uploaded using videosam.pl but I am not sure how to link it to you? The filename is Black.Mirror.S05E02-sample.mp4
I noticed that the encoding seem to differ slightly from the original file, though both are HEVC. I have however confirmed that the problem occurs when playing the sample file in OSMC as well.

1 Like

I had noticed this on the occasional 2.35:1 (or wider than 16:9) HEVC video and I just changed handbrake to output 16:9 with black bars which seemed to fix it, or at least mask it. I would be interested to know why it does this.

Many thanks. I can reproduce the issue with 3.14 but not with 4.9. I don’t think you will have to wait very long for 4.9 to be released.

@figrin_dan as I say, I think the reason is the height isn’t a multiple of 8. If you re-code it to 16:9 with black bars the problem doesn’t occur. Handbrake and the 4.9 kernel must be doing something clever to deal with it.

1 Like

Cheers, thanks for looking in to it!

Thanks. I’m not really certain what the kernel does but it sounds like a big update. Is it updated as a normal update or will I need to do something more in depth to get 4.9?
Thanks

It will come as a normal update, when it’s ready.

It will come (after all testing has been done) as a “normal” update without any need to do something “clever”. Just if you want it today you would have to do something “clever”