VideoExtras Add-on - advancedsettings.xml being ignored

Ok i have installed this same add-on onto Kodi for OSX an had no problem, so doing it on the RPi2 running OSMC A4, why do i get a permission error? If you hit “i” on a movie, it makes a new button called Extras, and that lists everything in a movie folder that has an Extras dir inside it. (It can read all the extras that don’t scrape).

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:VideoExtras is where it tells you how to do it. So after renaming folders to “Extras”, there’s a clever thing that says if the name of your extras dir is “Extras” click “Update advancedsettings.xml File” operation on the first tab of the VideoExtras settings," to apply the dir’s named Extras to be excluded from scans. I looked and it opend the xml with dreamweaver, but it must have been blank because all it did was type this in, but it saved me from typing it… This was on OSX, btw
Ok if i paste it the site doesnt show because of brackets… HERE! whew ok…

<advancedsettings>
    <video>
        <!-- VideoExtras: Section Start -->
        <excludefromscan action="append">
            <regexp>/Extras/</regexp>
            <regexp>[\\/]Extras[\\/]</regexp>
        </excludefromscan>
        <excludetvshowsfromscan action="append">
        </excludetvshowsfromscan>
        <!-- VideoExtras: Section End -->
    </video>
</advancedsettings>

So that WORKED on my OSX. Went and did same thing on the RPi2 and it didnt seem to work.
On the pi i did the same thing, then i typed
osmc@osmc:~/.kodi/userdata$ cat advancedsettings.xml
and got

<advancedsettings>
    <video>
        <!-- VideoExtras: Section Start -->
        <excludefromscan action="append">
        </excludefromscan>
        <excludetvshowsfromscan action="append">
        </excludetvshowsfromscan>
        <!-- VideoExtras: Section End -->
    </video>
</advancedsettings>

the advancedsettings.xml is in the same spot “userdata” in the Kodi/.kodi dirs… (on OSX vs OSMC) and i used just a mac terminal window to do this… But stop me if those two files arent the EXACT SAME… they look it to me… ok moving on…
Then it says 4.4 Scanning Media Into Your Library
Once you have updated the advancedsettings.xml file it should now be safe to perform any scans you wish to pull media into your library. At this point, the scanner should skip over any Extras files. And it did on OSX (correctly) not on RPi2 (it scraped inside the extars dirs!!).
So the extras some scraped as mini movies and stuff on the RPi2 OSMC Alpha4!!! Arg!!
Then if you read on it says in part 4.5 (THIS IS A SHORT AND EASY ADDON IN THE Kodi repo, btw) that if you open up the VideoExtras and go to configure that you go to the "Advanced tab and click “Update Confluence Skin” BUT on OSMC i get “your user account may not have permission to do this” on the mac it did it in 1 second…

Down by the word “Trailer”, it makes a button that’s called “Extras” (if the movie has a folder named “Extras” inside of it) and when you click the Extras button, it loads ALL the extras and you can click on them… it was playing mkv, it even played some bonus disks in ISO format!! So why did it say my user didn’t have the rights to make a button there? This is my 2nd attempt at doing this Add-ons and the only difference is the platform…
OSX is Linux-like and OSMC seems debian/raspbian-like… I am a beginner to line code linux stuff, obviously. i am going to try the same thing on Android (i don’t have root) and see if i get a permissions error there. Sorry for the length of this for a silly addon, but when you make your disks into 20GB mkvs and you even do the extras, it’s nice to have them display correctly. I have only had a pi1 since last April and the pi2 since feb 15th or so. Anyone have an idea that they could think why i got that message? It’s not as if i can sudo and click the “Update Confluence Skin” button to see if its a user rights issue… Yes i make my own files from disks and i make the extras, too… and OSMC on the RPi2 can handle about any file extension ive tried in the Extras folder

Questions:

1.) Why did it scrape into the Extras dirs on OSMC and not on OSX? I just clicked a button that changed an xml file and they look the same to me…

2.) Why when i clicked on the VideoExtras/Configure/Advanced tab “Update Confluence Skin” did it put the button on OSX? here is a screenshot of the button and then what the extras look like (by default)

all the buttons (on OSX) work and the extras button will show you a screen like this…

I know this isnt the proper place for add-on help, but the error the RPi2 gave didn’t match the no add-ons over wifi thread, so seeing no other Add-On threads i started typing. Will see if a not-rooted android tablet can have this, and report back.

Thank you, Kind people.

Marc

Yes the instructions are so easy a child could do this, so why does my RPi2 running OSMC Alpha 4 say that the default user (the one sitting on a couch right in front of the HDTV) not have proper permissions? The one thing i don’t mind being “out of my reach” is the let me delete my files from here thing. I prefer to delete things from my desk.
EDIT: Now there are “old people” in front of the RPi2 so i cant go test. YAR!! :wink:

A question for the ages. Everything works now, “Extra” dirs are ignored by scrapers, but the button on the “Advanced” tab that puts an “Extras” button next to trailer fails with the message; “Unable to create files in the confluence directory. Please make sure that the directory is writable by the user running Kodi”. Sounds like a chmod 777 to the rescue issue but that’s not in the wiki… worked on OSX and (Stock) Android (not rooted) But try as i could not on OSMC Alpha 4 (yet). Anybody run into write perm issues with Kodi repo Add-ons? Let me know.