VideoSync not perfect on Vero 4k+ [ SOLVED ]

This isn’t correct. Not for render bypass decode pathway (AML).

Can you show me a picture from PlayerDebug showing 23.976 file playing at 23.976 hz with 0.0 ?
Also it was confirmed by Jim that this is exactly the case - 0.0 means display not synced

Just tried to reproduce again. I am right.

0.0 playing 23.976 at 60hz/59hz/25hz - 0.0 means display is not synced even on the AML on Vero 4k+

I’m not sure where he said that, but this is not correct. This isn’t how it works on AML. I’m pretty sure that if no videos played back in a synchronised manner this forum would be flooded with complaints (we have fussy users here), which is why I find it intriguing that you say every single file you play has a problem.

If you have issues then you should set the GUI to 1080p and enable Adjust Refresh Rate.

Is there a specific reason why you are using Kodi v19 nightlies? Kodi v19 has not even reached its first alpha build yet and is highly experimental.

These are experimental builds and do not contain all of the improvements we have in Kodi v18.7. It would be better instead if you tested on a stable version of Kodi. There may well be a playback issue in the v19 alphas, but the VSync offset values will not show that nor will they reflect whether things are in sync.

If you insist on setting the resolution to 2160p (which has no benefit, as Kodi’s assets are limited to 1080p and your TV will have a better scaler), then you need to whitelist resolutions and refresh rates to ensure they are adjusted properly.

My suggestion is:

• Re-install OSMC (as there is no easy downgrade path from v19)
  • Set GUI to 1080p and enable Adjust Refresh Rate
  • Configure audio settings as advised above
  • Re-attempt playback of your files.

If you are concerned about playback stability, I wouldn’t recommend using nightly builds at this time. You should get playback working well on the stable builds first.

My guess is that you have confused yourself with VsyncOff numbers by reading this post: What do the vsyncoff numbers mean?. But you should note carefully that this discussion is about a NUC running LE. This would be using VAAPI and X11 for decode + render respectively, which is not a bypass method.

Sam

Im not saying that ? Im saying that the new OLEDs from LG have an issue when there is even a little frame pacing issues. You don’t get your forums flooded with issues because not a lot of people bought them YET due to covid availability + they mostly run them with motion interpolation which doesn’t require stable frame pacing.

Sam looks like you also didn’t read my posts. I do understand that you get thousands of those but assume for one second that i have a lot of experience with kodi and linux and that im not just an average user. I can use any box for my playback and im just trying to make your product better by giving you an idea about an issue that you might not know about.

I’ve tested the stable version before upgrading kernel and kodi and i had the same issue with the stable version. This is the reason i upgraded the kernel and Kodi.
I also tried ( on both stable and dev ) - whitelisting resolutions to force the display to upscale , setting the gui to 1080p and playing both SDR and HDR content to isolate the issue for it being a resolution or colorspace but they all produce the same weird vsyncoff.

I haven’t read any of the posts about vsyncoff here. Kodi’s vsync as i said works the same on all platforms. And i double checked that with both AML boxes i have - if its 0.0 its not synced to the display. Difference is the other AML box and as i listed above the other boxes i have have non fluctuating VsyncOff while the Vero 4k+ does.

Let’s assume that im wrong - Can you give me a picture showing 0.0 with 23.976 file playing on a 23.976hz synced display on the Vero 4k+ - that will be enough for me to show me that i have an issue on my side and i will know that my vero 4k+ doesn’t work the same as yours .

Forgo to add - Jim confirmed he s running 23.976 videos at 24hz causing display desync and showing 0.0

I have read your posts, but you seem to be ignoring my explanation and advice.

You shouldn’t be using Kodi v19, and you should make the changes suggested above.

Once again, this is not correct. Besides, unless the other AML box is also using the same kernel (1:1) with Kodi v19 pre-alpha, it’s not the same test and you are comparing apples and oranges.

I’m sure I can – but that is also influenced by codec and whether PT is enabled. I’m not saying the value will always be 0.0, but when it is 0.0 it does not mean that it is not synced.

You are going to get problems if you set the GUI to 4K though and don’t configure whitelisting properly, but that is obvious from logs alone.

Do you have some links about the LG OLED 2020 issues?
LG OLEDs cause us a lot of pain, so it would be good to be ahead of the curve.

Sorry if you are just going to ignore and not read my posts then repeatedly circle jerking me into oblivion im just not going to bother replying further
Thank you for your time

I’m not ignoring you. I’ve asked you to make some changes and see if the issues persist, then we can proceed from there.

I’ve also tried to explain how VSyncOffset is calculated in CRenderManager.

You are welcome to open another support request at any time.

1 Like

How are you not ignoring me when i’ve already said that i’ve tested Kodi 18 , Old kernel , any possible upscaling variations , any possible audio outputs before upgrading to the new kernel and new kodi where i tested the same things over and over again and i still get the same results and then you say that i should test what i already tested ?

I checked all of your logs. They are all using a WIP kernel and a pre-release version of Kodi. It would help to see logs using the stable release. Just saying that you tested things without providing these logs isn’t ideal.

1 Like

You asked for the logs after i updated - thats why they are for the latest upgrade i have.

I checked your patches to RenderManager ( unless im missing something its just 1 ) and i see no difference that can modify VideoSync’s behavior so i still believe im right. I still believe that you are mistaken saying 0.0 doesn’t show displaysync issues - not only from the source but because i can reproduce it , and i still believe that there is nothing in the AML path that modifies VideoSync’s behavior in any way on pre-GPU(VPU or whatever) chain and that A) vero 4k+ doesn’t have stable frame pacing causing issues on LG OLED 2020 models OR B) my device is faulty

Regarding a faulty device: in terms of HW issues, devices tend to either work or they don’t. Settings are usually the most common culprit for odd behaviour.

While we’re targeting the 4.9 kernel and are interested in logs that run this kernel, v19 is still a long way ahead and the first alpha won’t be officially announced until the end of this month. We’re not particularly interested in logs from these builds as they’re not that useful.

This doesn’t make sense. We don’t patch DXVA (DirectX) or VDPAU, but this doesn’t mean that they are involved.

My suggestion is to revert to a stable build, you’d need it anyway if any issues were found, as that would be where improvements would land first; send us some links to the posts of the LG issues you’ve reported here and see if the issue occurs on another display.

4 Likes