Volume OSD

my OSD volume isn’t showing, nor does my OSMC remote volume control work.

I’ve disabled pass-through, reset audio settings to default. My Audio Output device is Default (AML-M8Audio Analog), PCM. I tried the other Audio Output devices to no avail.

I can however see OSD working briefly (10 seconds or so) after i reboot, then OSD and volume control no longer function.

In this non functioning state i can change the volume using the menu below.

I’ve got a one 4K + via bose soundbar using ARC via TV and another directly via HDMI to TV and both exhibit same behaviour.

Thanks in advance, Geoff.

Well to avoid a keymap misconfigure can you try to change volume via yatse or the webinterface (mute/unmute) that will also trigger the Volume OSD.

Volume changes via webinterface show via TV OSD and change the audio levels. Mute via webinterface doesn’t do anything to audio levels, but it does show a red volume icon in rh top corner of tv screen. Mmm. Funny thing is that upon reboot vol osd works via remote, then 10 seconds after reboot the osd no longer appears. Logs https://paste.osmc.tv/unafanoboy

Well that sounds to me like a keymap issue. The point that it happens after 10 seconds could indicate a script or addon that starts being the culprit.

thanks for reply.

I’ve never had cause to edit my keymap file or create a remote related script. What is the best way to resolve a keymap issue?

I have previously edited my advancedsettings.xml to change timeseekforwardbig - OSMC remote up button to align to ad break length; is it possible that my changes to advanced settings has affected my volume OSD?

Thanks, Geoff

As I wrote I don’t think your volume OSD has any problem as you confirmed it works when you trigger the volume change via Yatse.
So I assume the issue is the remote keys not interpreted correctly.
You could:

1. Attach a keyboard and check if +/- triggers the Volume change
  2. Enable Debug logging and check what happens when you use the remote Volume keys.

thx, keyboard does nothing.

How do i debug? Is there a guide?

Cheers, Geoff.

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

Then you can e.g. run tail -f .kodi/temp/kodi.log to monitor the log file while you press buttons.

thx, the volume commands seem to be getting through to somewhere, but still no OSD or volume action.

2019-08-26 17:45:29.087 T:4066992128 DEBUG: HandleKey: leftctrl (0xd0) pressed, action is VolumeUp
2019-08-26 17:45:30.540 T:4046451424 DEBUG: LIRC: - NEW 73 0 KEY_VOLUMEUP linux-input-layer (KEY_VOLUMEUP)
2019-08-26 17:45:30.554 T:4066992128 DEBUG: HandleKey: leftctrl (0xd0) pressed, action is VolumeUp
2019-08-26 17:45:38.884 T:4046451424 DEBUG: LIRC: - NEW 72 0 KEY_VOLUMEDOWN linux-input-layer (KEY_VOLUMEDOWN)
2019-08-26 17:45:38.917 T:4066992128 DEBUG: HandleKey: rightctrl (0xd1) pressed, action is VolumeDown
2019-08-26 17:45:42.739 T:3051336416 DEBUG: CWebServer[8989]: request received for /jsonrpc?JSONRPC.Ping
2019-08-26 17:45:43.102 T:3034551008 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 52 times.
2019-08-26 17:45:43.103 T:3034551008 DEBUG: CWebServer[8989]: request received for /jsonrpc?Application.GetProperties
2019-08-26 17:45:43.441 T:3042943712 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 52 times.
2019-08-26 17:45:43.441 T:3042943712 DEBUG: CWebServer[8989]: request received for /jsonrpc?Player.GetActivePlayer

Ok, good start, now you could check:

1. If you have any custom keymaps in .kodi/userdata/keymaps/
  2. if you can use the keymap editor to reassign volume_up/down .

thx.

i have no keymaps - given that realtime logging illustrated that the vol + / - were getting received should it them be necessary to add a custom keymap? Anyway i added keymap addon, created a keymap, and that has appeared in a file called in gen.xml my keymap directory.

key entry looks like this …

i have restarted mediacenter, and no osd or action volume.

Thanks for assistance, Cheers, Geoff.

I’m confused on what that is. I would open keymap editor and click on the “reset to default” just to get you back to square one. You would then go to edit>global>audio and then edit the keys for Volume Up and Volume Down. The screen should then show something like

Volume Up - (something)
Volume Down - (something)

If the (something) are new entries then it understood your remote. At that point you have to keep backing out of the screens (cancel) until you get to the first screen you started at and click “save” which will save and reload the keymap. It should work without needing to reboot.

thanks, i didn’t have a keymap (until i created one to try to resolve issue), and i’ve tried to reset to default as well as create a keymap.

Cheers, Geoff.

Your log seems to indicate that you have two other keymaps and both of them have an error of some sort…

====================== keyboard.xml =================== MBom5YV6
keyboard.xml error
---------------------- keyboard.xml END --------------- MBom5YV6

====================== remote.xml =================== 5jmphjm3
remote.xml error
---------------------- remote.xml END --------------- 5jmphjm3

Keymap editor does not touch existing keymap files. It justs adds another one that, under normal conditions, will override the commands you set with it. Perhaps the errors in those files are preventing this from happening.

You get those errors if the file is empty.

thanks, so can i fix this by darwindesign’s advice below …

‘I would open keymap editor and click on the “reset to default” just to get you back to square one. You would then go to edit>global>audio and then edit the keys for Volume Up and Volume Down. The screen should then show something like’

Cheers, Geoff.

The reset to default only affects the file that keymap editor made and what you posted looks correct and what I would expect to work.

so it looks like i need to find and check remote.xml file …

Does this sound correct?

Cheers, Geoff.

The file will likely not have that exact name and may not even be in that folder. I would go looking to see if you can find a rouge keymap in the userdata folder. If you are using profiles then you would also need to look in .kodi/userdata/profiles/username

1 Like

@geoff_noob
maybe just try quickly a clean Kodi install to see if the issue is configuration related:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv .kodi kodi.backup
systemctl start mediacenter

After you have done the testing with the clean install you could move back with

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv kodi.backup .kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

As this involve playing around with your config maybe take a backup before.

1 Like