Waveshare 3,5 and OSMC

Does the OSMC kernel have fbtft included in? I have a Waveshare 3.5 Touchscreen (clone) and i’m having a hard time getting it to work (white screen).

PS: I don’t need X11, I just want the fb working.

Off the top of my head, no. But it would be quick to check (plug it in and see). I’d accept CONFIG_ options to enable it, but I think Notro still maintains this out of tree. It’s been a while since I looked at this however.

Sam

Doesn’t look like it does have, modprobe doesn’t find anything and the overlay is configured properly. Can I perhaps switch the OSMC kernel with the rpi’s official one without any major drawbacks?

Not easily. If you PR the config options, I’ll include them.

Sam

I was able to compile the kernel for the display with these settings
rbp2-000-add-kernel-config.patch:

.config:

It could be nice to have the next release of osmc’s kernel with the selected new modules.

Hi All,

I see this kernel above that is meant to make the waveshare 3.5in screen work, has this been actually tested? How would I go about trying this exactly? very very interested in getting this screen to work with my OSMC setup but no luck so far.

Yes, It works!.
For now you need to build the kernel on you system to get compiled the fbtft modules needed for the display. I was hoping to have the new configuration in the main release of osmc, because I update it regularly.
I’ve used it as secondary fb, beside the main out which is hdmi

Sorry for being such a newbie but could you perhaps explain how I compile it and then incorporate it into the OSMC files? I am very new to Linux

Can’t remember off the top of my head but I think I added
FBTFT modules to the pending 4.9 release.

Sam