Welcome screen at each reboot

Hi guys,
I have recently installed the last version of OSMC on my RP2 and every time I rebook the welcome screen with the initial set up appear. Everything I install get lost.

Any idea on what’s going on?

Many thanks,

G

What size card? What brand and type of card? Have you tried to re-image and start fresh again?

Hi, Thanks for replying.
I am using a 16 GB Samsung Evo I type 1. I’m trying it now.

How are you rebooting? From SSH? From GUI option? You aren’t just pulling plug and reconnecting right?

Of course not. I did try both from GUI and SSH same effect: it seems to boot into the main menu, but few seconds afterwords it crashes and start from the welcome wizard. Once i am done with that again everything installed before the reboot is lost.

Try another card, sounds like the current one is in stealth read only mode

I used this card with the previous version of OSMC as well with no probs. What’s the stealth read only mode?

It happens when they’re failing.

Some SD cards are not genuine or have a lower capacity than advertised. Some simply fail over time.

Symptoms of SD cards not working correctly are:

• Read-only behaviour, or changes made not persisting
  • A filesystem corruption error

Symptoms of counterfeit SD cards are:

• Writing works until a certain filesystem size is reached, thereafter, writes seem to cause issues where existing data is lost or newly written data is not preserved.
  • SD card fails after a short amount of time.

Counterfeit cards are usually found on Amazon and eBay.

SD cards have a limited lifespan. I recommend you change SD card and suspect that issues will no longer persist with a good card. If you would like to be a good quality SD card purpose manufactured for OSMC, then you can find one in the Store.

We’re seeing when sd cards gop bad they go read only, problem is they appear to be written to and the files are there unti a reboot when they disappear