We're designing a new look and feel for OSMC

personally i like the gradient one better. never been a fan of picture backgrounds.

Will this skin be available outside of OSMC?

Yes

UI overhaul looks amazing @sam_nazarko and the OSMC team.

Personally I like both the gradient background and the picture background. Maybe having the option of the photo background but by default having the gradient?

With the photo background, what will be the source of the photos? Will it be similar to chromecast where it gets random pictures or will it be a set backdrop?

Can’t wait to test this!

1 Like

I’d like to see an option to use gradient or picture background, I like both and could see myself swapping between them periodically.

Selectable colour gradients would be great.
Earth-tone light Brown’s to rustic orange would be sublime ;).

PLEASE keep big icon / matrix / grid view :slightly_smiling:
PLEASE keep custom user interface mapping the same though!

One of my main reasons for staying with the “god old” kodi look rather than the vero skin is the ability to use addOn shortcuts in the main window. I use three video addons on a regular basis, and I want these to be available from the main menu, without the need to go through a number of steps and pages to access them.

The only skin currently featuring home screen shortcuts are the original kodi skin.

Now if you would add this feature to your vero skin, I might be persuaded to try it out.

Looks Great when will it be available?!

Just to avoid word confusion, the “vero skin” is actually “osmc skin” and that already currently supports to add Addons directly to the main screen

As a user of the old xbmc style skin (I know, I know, I don’t like change!) That skin looks stunning and ticks all the boxes for me!

Hey @sam_nazarko and everyone at Team OSMC, great job on the skin design! In the past I have always replaced the OSMC skin as it was just not what I am looking for. However with this new design I can see myself using it. The only thing holding me back is the colours again.

As a frequent user of my OSMC setup in a dark space I find that the colours are just to bright in those situations, so I typically lean to darker skins. Maybe, a theme setting for just grayscale would be a good idea and most likely fairly easy to implement as you do not have to search for additional colour pallets that work well and the shades should translate nicely over.

Just some quick thoughts from my end as a web/graphics guy!

I would ask the designer to check colors with some of the contrast checker tools that are available for free.
http://contrast-finder.tanaguru.com/
http://leaverou.github.io/contrast-ratio/

I enjoy the simplicity of the original skin and am certainly impressed with the new approach. I echo the sentiments to have an option to use either the gradients or fanart based pictures (customisation options never hurt!).

For the music view where you drill down to the tracks, I think it would be a better use of space to hide the “main menu” screen. I would also love to be able to see the full list of artists, albums and then tracks in three columns rather than partially hiding the text (not sure if I explained myself clearly there).

Looks nice. Fanart slideshow background on home screen is a must have for me though.

+1 for the gradient mockups, really nice.

If custom colours are not an option, at least a (somewhat) light / (somewhat) dark option would be cool.

I love the current dark colours of the current OSMC skin simlpy because I use it in a low lit room.

Very nice, I prefer gradient skin over photo skin, but photo skin is also great, it would be nice to add some theme options.

I hope that maybe it will be accessible before kodi 17?

It will be nice to have weather widget on weather tab.

Once again, great work!

I read that the new skin for 17 has shown some errors in Kodi so the new skin will only work on 17. May this will count too

Aren’t there more important things such as browser support? :frowning:

If browser support is what is important to you, the Raspberry Pi is obviously the wrong device for you.

And due to other reasons, Vero is also not the right device for me. Browser support for OSMC would solve my issue and was announced almost a year ago. I’m not blaming anyone, just sayin’ that new skin is may not the most wanted feature… I think the current skin is very good.