What do I need to get started

I have been using XBMC for 4 or 5 years now starting with original Xbox, then moving to Apple TV 1 and 2 and also Amazon Fire TV. I’d like to try setting up a raspberry pi 2 (or similar device) to run OSMC. What I’m looking for is advice on what to start. I’m interested in saving money and reliability.

1. Which hardware should I get?
  2. Should I assemble it myself or buy it already assembled? (I can put things together but am not an electronics geek (just a PC geek)
  3. If I assemble, is there bill of materials somewhere I can use to get what I need?
  4. Where are good sources of the hardware (ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, etc)?

If there’s info from another source that you can reference that would be helpful, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks for your time.

Well, these are really basic questions.

1.) Basicly you need a Raspberry Pi (or similar device). I faced that questions a few month ago and decided to get a raspberry pi 2 simply because the pi is (afaik) the device which has the biggest community and the best support.
A few beginners guide: Help Videos - Raspberry Pi or A Beginner's Guide to DIYing with the Raspberry Pi or http://kodi.wiki/view/First_time_user

2.) A Raspberry Pi is already “assembled”, the only thing you need to do is plug in all the cables and there you go (well, except you bought a case).

3.) See links above or simply google for “raspberry pi beginners guide”.

4.) Well, just look around and compare offers. That depends a bit on your locations. For example I would have paid nearly the same amount for delivery charges as for the hardware it self on some shops.

1 Like

Thanks.