What Does This Message Mean?

I used to have the LCARS 47 Screensaver on my Vero 4K many years ago.
It is this: system 47 - star trek lcars screensaver
A Vero update disabled it.

I thought I would see if there was an updated version available to install & I see it was Updated: March 03, 2020 (on that web page).

I downloaded the .zip file but when I go to install it, I get this message “failed to install add-on from zip file. The dependency on xbmc.python version 2.25.0 could not be satisfied”
What does that message mean & is there any way around it?

Assuming there is not, I came across this video of a person adapting an old Windows version to run on a Linux box: LCARS System 47 Screensaver on Linux | Install and Service Creation - YouTube
The place he downloaded it from is System 47
The “download” link leads to here: System47 - download

I have never used any system other than Windows so am out of my depth here.

Perhaps someone could either point me to the Screensaver version that will install on both my Vero 4K & 4K+, or be interested enough to do the conversion for those of us who miss not having the Screensaver, if, indeed, there are others who miss it?

One of the changes between Kodi v18 and Kodi v19 is that Python version 2 is no longer supported in add-ons; so that screensaver presumably won’t work under Kodi v19, and there’s no way round that.

Thanks for your answer.
What version of Python is now supported in add-ons?

Python3. There was a huge change in Python between 2 and 3 that broke a ton of stuff, and that’s why you can’t run old add-ons that weren’t converted in Kodi 19/20. I can’t remember exactly what versions of Python3 are supported, but it’s a pretty wide range since on some platforms Kodi uses whatever is installed (mostly Linux variants) and some use a bundled version (MacOS and Windows).

Thanks for the explanation.
I have asked in the Kodi Forum if the Screensaver will be updated to work with Kodi v19.
Am awaiting a reply.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=323285&page=2

The Screen Saver has been updated but I have no idea what to do next to get it on my 4K & 4K+.

If you read post #23 here System 47 - Star Trek LCARS ScreenSaver
you will see where the developer says that he has updated it but to “make sure to have an updated version of my repo marked (master).” He gives the link to the Beta repository. I go there and navigate to the screensaver system47 but have no idea what I am supposed to select to get the Screen Saver onto my laptop, then to the Vero.

He never answered my last post asking about it so I am wondering if either Sam, a Moderator, or somebody knowledgeable with Kodi stuff could either help me out by telling me what to do or placing it where we download the Screen Savers from through the Veros. Of course, I would expect the knowledgeable person to try it out first, to see if it actually does work.

Can anyone help, please?

A Kodi repository, or repo, is a place where you can source add-ons from. Kodi maintains one, but you can install other ones as well. In this case you would go to his github and grab his latest repo zip [or just click here to download it] and then copy it over somehow to your OSMC box. In Kodi you will go to add-ons and then install from zip and then point to that file that you download and have it install the repo. You may have to enable some options to allow this. If you do Kodi will warn you and take you to the setting in question. Once the repo is installed you will then go to add-ons> install from repository>Lunatixz Beta Repository>Look and feel>Screensaver> and you will then see the one your looking for to install. That thing has a bunch of dependencies that also have to be installed so I didn’t test it.

Thanks darwindesign.
After downloading the zip through your link, I realised that I had downloaded an incorrect one when I was trying to do this myself. I downloaded “screensaver.system47-2.5.01a.zip” as that to me (how wrong I was) had the newest version number but it would not extract, hence my ‘HELP’ shout.

I will have a go tomorrow at installing from the correct .zip, through the Vero. It has been about 5 years since I did anything like that. Fingers & Legs Crossed :slight_smile:

Can you give me a layman’s explanation of what is meant by this?
Any downside to installing them?

Dependency, as in to run one thing you need something else it depends on. When you tell it to install it pops up a dialog that tells you about other add-ons it will install as well. I personally tend to shy away from installing things I’m not interesting in using myself. Notably in this case it said it needed the YouTube add-on and I think that one is currently not functioning correctly when it grabs it from the Kodi repo and you have to grab an update version from Github. Plus, I didn’t know if you still had to jump through other hoops to get a key. I’m sure all this info can be found in it’s thread on the Kodi forum.

Now I understand, thank you.
If it breaks, I will have more experience in re-installing the Vero :slight_smile:

Yahoo… I am now on the bridge of the Enterprise NCC-1701.
The System 47 LCARS ScreenSaver now works again.
I am a Happy Chappy :slight_smile:

Thanks again @darwindesign

1 Like

@darwindesign

I want to update my Vero 4K+ to the December update. As I always do, I went to back up my settings but ran into a problem this time around. This is the first update I have tried since I installed the System 47 - Star Trek LCARS ScreenSaver, that you helped me with. The “OSMC Backup” box appears at the top right of the TV screen, showing /home/osmc/kodi/userdata/addon_data/ but just does nothing more. I suspect it is this ScreenSaver that is causing the problem so I wish to delete it entirely from the Vero. I will not use it again. Can you explain the steps I need to do to get rid of it?

I’m a bit sceptical that this screensaver is preventing an update. It looks like perhaps you have your settings configured to run a backup before installing updates. If you have the backup set to backup something large, (perhaps the videos that you grab with this screensaver, I really wouldn’t know) then the backup can take a very long time. It could also be that you ran out of storage during a backup as it works by making a compressed file in Kodi’s temp directory before copying it to whatever destination you have set. I would start by checking your free disk space.

As for removing it I would think it is just a matter of going to, add-ons>my add-ons> find this add-on, context menu, info, and then select the uninstall option.

Thanks darwindesign.

I removed that Screensaver & the backup of my settings on both the 4K & 4K+ went smoothly.
From memory (I may have the size wrong) that System 47 - Star Trek LCARS ScreenSaver had downloaded a video of around 2.7Gb in size, when I last installed it. I am not sorry it is now gone, as trouble free operation of the units is the first priority.

1 Like