What happens when installing from USB after failed update

Hi All,

Apologies for seemingly basic question

Last night I finally got round to finally updating my Vero 1 from the September software to the latest version. The update failed (no signal on tv for approx 20 mins) so I reluctantly pulled the plug.

On reboot mediacenter/kodi doesn’t launch and throws some errors. I can ssh.

I’ve tried to re-install the update using a combination of with no luck

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall

Running
sudo systemctl status mediacenter -l
shows the following errors:

mediacenter.service - media center application
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mediacenter.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2017-01-08 17:05:33 GMT; 48min ago
 Main PID: 492 (mediacenter)
   CGroup: /system.slice/mediacenter.service
           └─492 /bin/bash /usr/bin/mediacenter
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7881]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/mv /tmp/timezone /etc/timezone
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7881]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7881]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7884]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime.dpkg-new
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7884]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7884]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7887]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/mv /etc/localtime.dpkg-new /etc/localtime
Jan 08 17:54:09 osmc sudo[7887]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jan 08 17:54:10 osmc mediacenter[492]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: undefined symbol: fbGetDisplayByIndex
Jan 08 17:54:10 osmc mediacenter[492]: Kodi exited with return code 127 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 2 seconds

For those interested my logs are here http://paste.osmc.io/onefedipoj

Unsure if it’s relevant but this doesn’t look good:

Jan 08 17:06:01 osmc mediacenter[492]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: undefined symbol: fbGetDisplayByIndex
Jan 08 17:06:01 osmc sudo[535]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user osmc
Jan 08 17:06:01 osmc mediacenter[492]: Kodi exited with return code 127 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 28 seconds

Reluctantly I suspect it’ll need a reinstall - but I haven’t done this before (updates have always worked perfectly OOTB). Does it completely wipe the system files and reinstall? Would, for example, the OpenVPN install I struggled with for days be wiped etc?

I do have backups of my addons and user data folder so I should be ok there - just curious as to what happens when installing from USB?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

grab-logs -A would be more helpful.

sorry - bit out of practice here and using snippets from posts old and new…

http://paste.osmc.io/akoxecehon

Hi Tom

I received your emails today but didn’t get a chance to reply. I will just do so here.

Yes – you can reinstall, but you would lose the setup, so that is best avoided if you can do so. That is a last resort however and would get your system up and running.

Your log shows that Kodi isn’t starting. Normally this can be caused by a recently installed add-on or skin, but the error seems to suggest otherwise.

Try this

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero-userland-osmc vero-mediacenter-osmc
mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodi-backup

Then if this works you can look at moving your Kodi directory back. If this causes problems again then we can identify the culprit.

Start-Date: 2015-04-26  13:55:34
Commandline: apt-get upgrade
Upgrade: linux-libc-dev:armhf (3.16.7-ckt9-2, 3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1)
End-Date: 2015-04-26  13:57:23

Also: avoid running apt-get upgrade in the future.

Sam

Alas, no joy :frowning:

Anything else I could try - FYI I didn’t add any skin/addons last night before the update.

http://paste.osmc.io/iwegezafut

Can’t see anything obvious unfortunately.

You could back up your system. What needs backing up?

If you plug in a USB stick it will be mounted under /media. Or there are other ways to access files on the device.

You can back up the whole ~/.kodi directory.
I see you have applications like Deluge and think those settings are stored in ~/.deluge.

I would recommend taking a backup of the card on your PC and fresh installing. This way if anything is missing you could clone the old image to a different card and transfer things across easily.

The error message means that your EGL libraries are not found or incorrect ones are being used (sometimes happens if a user installs graphical applications), but the reinstall command should have done the trick.

If you can set up SSH, you could PM or email me details and I can try and take a look.

Thank you Sam for your replies.

Do you mean set up SSH so you can login remotely? If so, hopefully that won’t be a problem… I’ll search forum now for a how to :wink:

You should change the default ‘osmc’ password to something unique and hard to guess.
Then you need to open a port on your router (22).

Sam

Thanks Sam - PM’d you

Should be OK now.

You had MESA libraries installed on your system which conflict with the Vero’s EGL libraries.

Amazing thanks Sam.

Not sure how they got there…:flushed:

To restore my .kodi settings, is this correct?

mv ~/.kodi-backup ~/.kodi

Yes. But you should stop Kodi first.

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter

Remove the old Kodi directory:

rm -rf ~/.kodi

Move your files back

Then start Kodi, with

sudo systemctl start mediacenter