Where do I start with a Vero 4K+ (not older Vero 4K)?

@angry.sardine…yup, been there, done that, but still no joy, and it is still missing the top line (which I see in instructional videos on YouTube) which reads “enable personal API keys”…I just don’t get it how a single line can be missing despite the fact that I am in expert mode.

Thanks, BTW!

Hi,

Try updating putty.

Check the vero4k+'s Ip hasn’t changed (assuming you haven’t set a static IP). You can check under MyOSMC, Network. Then wired or wireless, depending on what you are using.

Its unlikely that it has changed since yesterday, but if its been switched and its IP lease was up and another device asked for an IP, its possible the other device got the vero’s IP.

Thanks Tom.

IP has not changed…I check it after every reboot, and even tried a couple of hard boots by shutting it down and unplugging the unit. The IP remains constant so far.

I will try updating Putty, but that still doesn’t explain why the connection is refused through the web to go to the API page of the 4K+.

It worked fine all day and the entire morning today. It just stopped working about 2 hours ago.

Thanks, Tom!

Just tried the latest version of Putty, version 0.73…same result.

“network error: Connection refused”

Can you check the IP under the router just to be sure?

Whoa…I finally got in! I had to unplug the 4K+ for about 5 minutes and then restarted, and now I can get in. And the API page is working again. So this time the API page entered the information in the YouTube settings and it looked like success…but no, I still can’t login to the app. I am going to try creating a new API key and seeing if that works…I sure hope so.

And yes, Sam, the router confirmed that my IP was correct.

and then I will try to use Putty to put the keys in by copy and paste.

I’ll let you know if this works…

Thanks to everyone…you guys are great!

1 Like

Success! Finally! I don’t know what went wrong before, but it seems as if once I allowed the 4K+ to remain unplugged for 5 minutes, everything worked just the way it was supposed to work. I had tried unplugging the unit several times for just a few seconds, but it didn’t do any good. I should have known from past experience that sometimes a unit needs some time before it completely resets.

Now I know why there are so many available Kodi builds out there with bunches of add-ons already installed. Maybe that will be the way to go in the future, but for now I think I will just be happy with access to my servers and YouTube.

Thanks again everybody for all of your help. This is a great community and I will hang around to learn more and to help whenever I can.

1 Like

Unfortunately those builds often come with a lot of crap and the first thing we’d recommend if a user asks for support is to try without such a build. They are renowned for introducing problems by making invasive changes to user settings and sane defaults.

It’s best to install what you need gradually. That’ll also help you identify a specific change is causing a problem. You can then backup your system so you don’t need to start from scratch every time in the unlikely case you need to reinstall.

Yes, I think that is good, sound advice. I really don’t want any fancy skin, as I like simplicity, and after looking at some of the add-ons on those builds, most people are into different things than I am. I really like the ability to customize things myself and only adding that stuff that I have a use for. I don’t want to bloat the system up for nothing…:smiley:

I have read a lot of posts by you, Sam. You really are a guru around here, heh?

He’s not just a guru, OSMC is his creation.

Oh my (inserts foot in mouth)…I didn’t realize that. Then he is THE ONE who made this whole thing work. OSMC is the engine, and Kodi is the front end, right? If that is the case, so far OSMC is the best engine I have used to date, and the only one that has all the features I need and want. Most of the other platforms leave out one important feature or another, but OSMC seems to have it all. I have not put the product through all of my tests so far, but I sure plan on trying all kinds of videos and audio soon.

Just out of curiosity, who would be the one to ask about features like gapless playback of audio files and adherence to default and forced flags in video? Is that the responsibility of OSMC or of Kodi?

Fantastic work, Sam!

P.S. - I blame the add-on creator for my problems with the YouTube plugin, or maybe it is the fault of YouTube itself…I am not too smart, so I really don’t know who does what.

That would be Kodi specifically.

There’s been some discussion about this already: Audio gapless + fade in/out at pause or stop (although the request didn’t seem well received).

The YouTube add-on is decent and works well.

Unfortunately Google in the last couple of months decided that every user would need their own API keys. This creates a complicated barrier to entry – you’re not the only one struggling, and makes things very difficult for the end user. If there was a simpler workaround, I’m sure the developer of that add-on would’ve come up with one. Unfortunately there isn’t, but they’ve at least kept a good guide / up to date instructions.

There are a lot of people behind OSMC, not just me.
Developers, forum moderators, support staff, Team Kodi, Debian and great hardware vendors. I’m just the guy you can blame if it goes wrong :slight_smile:

Sam

2 Likes

Probably six of one, half a dozen of another, but I added my personal api to another of my machines the other day and found that turning on the API configuration page and pointing my web browser to http://<IP of Kodi device>:50152/api was pretty quick and painless.

2 Likes

Yeah…once I got the 4K+ to accept incoming traffic, I ended up using the API page, and I agree, it was a lot easier than going in with Putty and using the command line, or entering the key info manually in the YouTube settings/API section. The API page is definitely the easiest methos…when it works.

[quote] There are a lot of people behind OSMC, not just me.
Developers, forum moderators, support staff, Team Kodi, Debian and great hardware vendors. I’m just the guy you can blame if it goes wrong :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yes, and as a developer who serves as the interface with users, you probably get it from both sides…:smiley: