Which AV Receiver for Surround Sound

Hello, everybody,
I would like to know which device is the best to get 5.1 surround sound from my Vero4k. So far I used stereo only, but would like to update to 5.1. Whereby I just ask myself a few questions.

Currently:
Currently I use to be able to hear stereo with a “Y-Cinch-Adapter to 3.5mm” (example).

Thanks to the help of Chillbo, I’m actuelly know how many channel every output supports. (Wiki - Audio) → 3.5mm only Stereo, TOSLINK (SP/DIF or Optical) only stereo.

To upgrade to a 5.1 surround device, I need a device that is connected via HDMI input and an output via Cinch. It should also be able to output 4k with HDR. (yeah, sry :roll_eyes: )

Is there a device somewhere that’s capable of such things?
My idea was to buy an “Audio Extractor”(Link) and integrate its output into a small “audio sound decoder”(Link). But it looks as if it is… I am a bloody newbie.

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Why not take the easy route and buy an AVR like in your title?

It sounds like you only have a 2 channel analogue amp at the moment so you need to spend money for the other 4 (or 6) channels anyway.

You need a 5.1/7.1 etc av receiver, I can recommend the Sony STR-DN1080 it’s a great bit of kit and not too expensive now, also has dolby atmos support :+1:

1 Like

@grahamh I already have a 5.1 speaker concept, but I miss a receiver that can handle my conditions.

@shady_char19 Yes, thank you, that seems to be the right one. But I would like to search a little longer to find a cheaper one.

You both put me on the right track, thank you very much. :slight_smile:

PS: @shady_char19 One more question, which “ports” do you use to connect your speakers?
I have some receivers for ~350€, which meet all my requirements, only that the sound output is realized with a banana plug. Is it advisable to use a cinch->banana plug adapter? (link)

Bought this same model a few weeks ago. Best value 4k AV receiver around. Highly recommended.

1 Like

O.K. I made a mistake. There is no Banana->Cinch adapter.
But I can’t find a mid ranger receiver with a cinch audio output.
Can anyone give me a hint to redirect my search in the right way?

Are your existing amps so good that you don’t want to replace them? If so, you may want to look for a device which passes through HDMI and breaks out 6 channels of audio. Rather than the two-box approach you have above.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extractor-Digital-Adjustment-Surround-Converter/dp/B0777PH1NL/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1536171685&sr=1-15-spons&keywords=hdmi+sound+card&psc=1

But you will have to spend more to get one that supports 4k @ 60fps.

1 Like