Why does the OSMC bundled xbox-lircd.conf differ so much from my generated .conf?

Hello,

I’m setting up my original Xbox DVD dongle remote to work using a TSOP4856. It works, pretty much, after creating my own .conf using irrecord. It doesn’t work at all when using the built-in xbox-lircd.conf that ships with OSMC, which brings me to my question.

Inspecting and comparing the two .conf-files (see end of post) I notice many differences. I’m wondering why they differ so much? For instance the bit length is 8 in the bundled .conf, but 24 in my working .conf.

Is the OSMC-bundled file meant for the signal that is preprocessed and output by the actual Xbox IR dongle, or is it meant for the raw signal from an IR sensor like the setup I have?

The reason I’m investigating is that I’m having some problems with “sticky” keys; sometimes one keypress is input multiple times, and sometimes it’s as though I were holding it down for multiple seconds despite just tapping it briefly. This also makes the behavior unreliable when actually holding keys down deliberately.

I was thinking step one would be to clarify this. Other suggestions also welcome.

Bundled .conf:

begin remote

name  XboxDVDDongle
    bits           8

begin codes
[...]

My .conf:

begin remote

name  xb.conf
  bits           24
  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

header       4042  3968
  one           529  1975
  zero          529   963
  ptrail        530
  gap          64580
  toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
[...]

Conf similar to mine, from http://lirc-remotes.sourceforge.net/remotes-table.html:

begin remote

name  Microsoft_Xbox
  bits           24
  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

header       4095  3916
  one           591  1909
  zero          591   905
  ptrail        591
  gap          64590
  toggle_bit      0

begin codes
[...]

Your TSOP might be problematic

Sam

Oh ok. Thanks for your reply. I purchased this TSOP after the last time that I received this verdict from you in another thread. That time I identified the problem as being the wrong frequency (should have been 56kHz) — beginner’s mistake.

Do you have any insight as to what could be the problem with this particular tsop?

Do you happen to know which TSOP the bundled config was confirmed working with? Maybe if I read that data sheet it could give me a clue.

If the TSOP is to blame then it must be a very picky remote control, since at least two other people seem to have come up with almost identical configs as mine (the third is the op of this thread RC GPIO /IR remote working? - #34 by anohren)

I recommend TSOP4838

Does it work with the original Xbox DVD dongle remote? Since the dongle used a 56kHz receiver, I thought that’d be the way to go.

We have a kernel module to support the Xbox usb dongle natively.

Sam

Ok, unfortunately I don’t have a working DVD dongle.

I was thinking, since the op in the thread I linked to had been reassured that all configs were meant for GPIO receivers, that this config had been tested with one.

I think a TSOP4838 would work OK, but it’s been a long time since I tried it.

Sam

An update on this for anyone else with the same problem.

It turned out that much of the problems I was experiencing was due to the CCFL backlight of the TV. To add to the confusion everything worked fine on full brightness, but on lowest brightness (which I use in the evening) the room got flooded with IR interference. This is probably due to whatever method is used to dim CCFL tubes (PWM?). It took quite some time to narrow it down to this.

If memory serves, my generated config worked as expected after filtering out the interference by taping a white piece of paper between the IR window/filter and the sensor.

Still not sure why the configs differ though.

@sam_nazarko Do you happen to know the nature of the issue described in the latest blog post: “Fixed an issue which prevented the original Xbox DVD remote from working on Raspberry Pi”?

Edit: sorry if I used a @mention improperly here, just realized there might be some guidelines about that…

Yes – that’s for people using the Xbox DVD Remote with the official USB receiver.

Thanks

Sam

1 Like