Why transmission-daemon crashs often?

/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-error
[2015-05-06 15:11:25.607 UTC] Couldn’t bind port 51413 on Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:371)
[2015-05-06 15:11:25.607 UTC] Couldn’t bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:371)
[2015-05-06 15:11:25.607 UTC] UDP Couldn’t bind IPv4 socket (tr-udp.c:263)

I have not installed any other copy transmission-daemon on my rpi2.

Another copy running means that you are trying to run the daemon when it is already running.

How is the daemon being launched ?

I install it and then do nothing. It’s already running.

when it crashed, I run it with “sudo service transmission-daemon restart”

Is there anyone can help me?

I’m also having same experience - just installed a fresh RC3 and launched it, made all updates and enabled Transmission add-on - crashes and suggest i open dialogue box - tried both localhost and ip in transmission settings under host

What transmission addon are you referring to?

What transmission addon are you referring to?

The one found in main menu under programs add-ons

Auther: Correl Roush

Version: 0.7.6


This is a client for connecting to and controlling a running transmission-daemon. You must have transmission installed and running before this addon will connect and allow control.

Thanks for clarifying this for me - installed Transmission from this howto: http://posts.danharper.me/raspberry-pi-2-transmission/

Hi, I have the same issue. Not only transmission crashed often but also often freezes my Pi2… Is there any solution to avoid this annoying problem?


If you are using the Transmission daemon, I would recommend uninstalling your current one and using the App Store version which is optimised for OSMC.


I am using the one from osmc “app store”, I would provide logs but where are those?

sudo journalctl | paste-log should provide enough to start with.

My config:

Device: Rasp Pi 2,
Installation media: SDcard, USB Hard Drive
Connection: Wired
Power Supply Type:
Power specs: 5V 200mmA
Storage: Seagate 5T Husb hard-drive


Some really weird things going on there relating to disk mounting - udisks-glue is not mounting your external drive: (a known bug we are working on)

Sep 20 00:34:28 osmc udisks-glue[437]: Device file /dev/sda1 inserted
Sep 20 00:34:28 osmc udisks-glue[437]: Device /dev/sda1 did not match any rules.

However it is also trying to mount the root file system, which it should not do as it will already be mounted:

Sep 20 00:34:28 osmc udisks-glue[437]: Trying to automount /dev/mmcblk0p2...
Sep 20 00:34:28 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Sep 20 00:34:28 osmc udisks-glue[437]: Successfully automounted /dev/mmcblk0p2 at /media/e16fe3fa-682c-43a9-b16c-0101e1942a87
Sep 20 00:34:28 osmc udisks-glue[437]: Device file /dev/mmcblk0p2 mounted at /media/e16fe3fa-682c-43a9-b16c-0101e1942a87

This is highly unusual and we have not seen this reported before. Can you please use the My OSMC log uploader to upload all logs so we can get a better idea what is going on here.

Regarding transmission crashing, if you have your download directories configured for the external drive and the drive is sometimes not mounting, this may be the cause of transmission crashing.

Fine, now I understood why nothing works like Debiian or Raspbian…
Anyway this are the logs you requested:


I hope this can help you, you are doing a great work, thanks for yours efforts!

Not sure what you mean by that. OSMC is based Raspbian Jessie (Pi 1) or Debian Jessie. (Pi 2)

# /dev/disk/by-uuid/65e893bc-5549-489b-ba98-04d7663fa0e1    /media/seagate-5T   ext4    gid=osmc,uid=osmc,defaults,noatime  0       1
/dev/sda6    /media/seagate-5T   ext4    defaults,errors=remount-ro,noatime	0	1

I see you are trying to mount your drive under /media using an fstab entry. You can’t do this. Please read the README file in /media to see why. The recommended location for manual fstab mounts is under /mnt.

Thanks for the advice…

I will fix it and send again the logs FYI.

Hi all,

I modified my FSTAB so these are the new logs:


Soon I will deactivate the automount for

/dev/mmcblk0p2  7.0G  628M  6.0G  10% /media/e16fe3fa-682c-43a9-b16c-0101e1942a87

and I will let you if Transmission is going to crash or blocking the system, many thanks again for your advices.