Wifi disconnected on Raspberry Pi 3 and won't reconnect

I’m running latest OSMC on Raspberry Pi 3. After few hours of working the WiFi adapter disconnected from the AP and couldn’t connect anymore.

What’s connected to RPi 3:

• external 2,5" hard drive via USB (additional power via second USB cable, provided from the same power adapter as RPi)
  • Samsung TV via HDMI

How to reproduce
I didn’t do anything specific. I started RPi and some files were downloading to the RPi via WiFi. It was like that for about 4hours and after that I tried to use TV streaming addons when I realized there’s no WiFi.

I tried to disable and after few seconds enable Wireless adapter via OSMC but no luck.
I connected via ethernet cable and SSH to check what’s going on and upload the logs.

Snippet from logs

[12452.145396] brcmfmac: brcmf_do_escan: error (-52)
[12452.145422] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_scan: scan error (-52)

Full logs
http://paste.osmc.io/lacosulumu

Does issue still occur without USB drive connected. Lacking any more info, it’s probably not wise to power both from same supply.

Power supply I use specifies that is able to provide 4,8A. It has 3 USB ports. So I think it should be enough.

I also did some test to create a heavy load on RPi to be sure the supply provides enough power.
I did run 4 processes of “cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null” and also was playing 1080p movie at the same time. There were no indications of lack of power.

I now umounted the drive and disconnected it. Again disabled/enabled wireless adapter but it still didn’t connect to AP.

I tried to manually scan for available networks:

root@osmc:~# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Invalid exchange

Just after that I got new entries in the logs:

Mar 26 15:29:35 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_vif_set_mgmt_ie: vndr ie set error : -52
Mar 26 15:29:35 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_scan: scan error (-52)
Mar 26 15:29:38 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_vif_set_mgmt_ie: vndr ie set error : -52
Mar 26 15:29:38 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_scan: scan error (-52)

That 4.8 is probably total from all three ports and each individual one is probably 1.6 each at most. Which would be to low for the Pi 3’s recommended 2.5

1 Like

It was fine for some time so I forgot about this thread… but now I face this problem again.
I powering the Pi from original 2,5A 5.1V Raspberry Pi 3 power adapter and still get those errors:

May 09 21:24:25 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_hostmail: Unknown mailbox data content: 0x40012
May 09 22:00:15 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_bus_txdata: out of bus->txq !!!
May 09 22:00:18 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_bus_txdata: out of bus->txq !!!

May 10 00:51:10 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_get_tx_power: error (-52)
May 10 00:51:12 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_proto_bcdc_query_dcmd: brcmf_proto_bcdc_msg failed w/status -110

May 10 00:53:16 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_do_escan: error (-52)
May 10 00:53:16 osmc kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_scan: scan error (-52)

Any update? Same problem here…

Hi,

This topic is 3 years old, I doubt your lack of wifi is caused by the same the issue. Please open a new topic with logs:

How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

Thanks Tom.