Wifi fails to connect after password entry

Try this it worked for an adapter that I was unable to connect with when using encryption.
Referance: ConnMan - ArchWiki

connmanctl
scan wifi
services
agent on
Then select the wifi you want like this:
connect wifi_dc85de828967_38303944616e69656c73_managed_psk
Then provide information asked.
quit

1 Like

I had the same issue. Somehow after plugging the usb into different ports and restarting, it seemed to work.

I too have either the same issue or very similar. I can connect to a guest WiFi network on my router but not my “internal” network. Every time I attempt to I am able to select the network from the list and enter the password but I am almost immediately informed it has failed and no other info is provided, i.e. bad password etc… . Here is my log info
http://paste.osmc.io/kupotateyo

I did try moving my WiFi dongle to another USB port without luck.

Thanks,

2 Likes

I have the same problem: my router is a Archer C7. I can connect to a guest network but for some reason not to another network. I tried to change the password, the ssdi name and even tried 2 different wlan sticks. Ill try to provide a log when I can find a working ethernet cable.

Edit:
I connected to my guest network, used ssh and did the following:

$ connmanctl
connmanctl> scan wireless
connmanctl> services
connmanctl> connect wifi_somethingsomething_managed_psk
(the agent will ask for passphrase)
connmanctl> quit
reboot

Now im connected to my regular wifi.

Hi all, I haven’t read through all the replies but can I suggest people move their Pi’s so that the WIFI dongle is within 5 feet or less of the WIFI router and try again to connect. I was having problems a few months ago with the system either failing or taking along time to connect or getting stuck and on occasions the sad face appearing. I noticed that when I moved my Pi closer to the router I no longer had an issue with connecting again and it worked first time every time and taking only a few seconds. Then I put it back on the original table which is about 12 feet away and the connection problems started again. Hope this helps.

Regards
Nick

FYI, I had the same symptoms-- randomly no ability to connect to WiFi, even though I could see the networks. After a full reinstall of OSMC, it still didn’t work. So, I bought a new $9.99 wifi dongle… and now it works. If I had to guess, I’d say the old wifi dongle was degraded but still somewhat functional. Or… who knows.

I have the same problems as described by most people.
Except that I am using a raspberry Pi 3. So no dodgy dongle, it should work out of the box ! I expect the drivers to be in the latest OSMC build so there should be no problem here. Is it something experienced only via OSMC ? IF so I’d be nice for the devs to take a serious look at this ! Looks like I’m not the only one here

The Pi 3’s wifi is working fine for plenty of other people. If it didn’t work for anyone I think we’d hear about it…

You’ve said nothing about your wireless setup (AP model, wireless/authentication modes, distance from the AP to the Pi etc) and provided no debug logs demonstrating a connection failure.

Without that there’s zero chance that anything can be done as we have absolutely no idea what your problem might be.

Please try connecting to wifi, after it fails temporarily plug in Ethernet (without rebooting) and use MyOSMC->Log uploader to upload your debug logs. If you can’t connect Ethernet temporarily use the option to save the log file to the SD card and then upload that to paste.osmc.io from your PC.

Hi there, currently having this issue with a Raspberry Pi 3, fresh install and it’s just says failed to connect every time I enter the password correctly. I have moved the usb to another slot and even tried reinstalling from scratch but still to no avail. I can provide logs if this will help get my issues sorted, unless there is a known fix I can attempt to fix this. To note, the wi-fi dongle I am using works, has been tested with the same pi but a different os on a different SD in the same location, same peripherals (A wireless keyboard\mouse combo) and no issue. Fairly new to using both pi and the OSMC so if I need to do anything technical please explain so I can perform it correctly and properly. Many thanks!

Where can I upload the logs ? The forum doesn’t accept txt files

My WiFi is quite standard. WPA-PSK2, router belkin and Pi in the same room about 10m away.

http://paste.osmc.io

http://paste.osmc.io/ofivejujuy.vhdl

Here we go

I had the same problem using a pi2.my Wi-Fi dongle had worked well previously on a pi1 but would not work for the 2. This was on a clean install run a freshly formatted SD card configured for pi2.

I tried using connmanctl and it kept failing because it said it was already trying to connect. So I pulled my SD card, wiped it, did a clean install again but this time on the installer I told it to only do wired connections. I installed OSMC, went into the configuration, the wireless adapter was disabled. I enabled it and then was able to successfully use connmanctl. But it would not work unless I did that. I’m just posting here in case it helps someone else.

I reinstalled without configuring the Wifi at install time, and it worked.
That was a bit weird because the OSMC interface actually crashed when the wifi finally connected but when I went back to it it said connected and gave me the IP.
So I don’t know if the bug is in the installer or somewhere else but it does show something dodgy going on.

While it may not affect everyone, it looks like I’m not the only one DBMandrake. Did you find anything in my logs?

1 Like

So has someone actually looked at the logs I provided ? Cause it’s easy to deny a problem but I actually did give the details requested so it would be nice to at least get someone to look at it.

Your logs suggest that the password you used for the network ‘Sun ‘n’ Fun’ was not valid, so not much more was looked in to.

How strange…

I’m having the same problem. Interesting thing is though, same adapter and pi were working on a previous install of OSMC, but with a fresh install it’s hanging when trying to connect. Going to try nocrack’s solution of not setting up wifi during installation to see if that works.

i changed my router but my wifi SSID and passphrase stayed the same. OSMC would not connect no matter what. It would just say that connection failed. I connected my RPi though ethernet and did this to resolve the conflict. If you don’t know the IP address RPi takes after reconnect, you can usually find it in your router’s admin webgui. SSH into your box and then:

$ connmanctl
connmanctl> disable wifi
connmanctl> quit
$ sudo su
$ cd /var/lib/connman/
$ rm -r eth* wifi*
$ reboot

ssh osmc@whatever....

$ connmanctl
connmanctl> enable wifi
connmanctl> scan wifi
connmanctl> services
connmanctl> agent on
connmanctl> connect wifi_copy line segment starting with wifi corresponding to wifi SSID after typing services_managed_psk
connmanctl> [passphrase? 'ENTER WIFI PASS'
connmanctl> quit

hope this helps other people running into this problem.

2 Likes

I have a problem reading the last post - perhaps it could be edited (by the author) to utilise ‘code’ segments, as I’m not sure what to type.
Derek