Wifi fails to connect after password entry

Hi, I install fresh OSMC on Rpi 3 and also have “connection failed” after type wifi password, when it will be fixed?

Help! I’m having the same problem as the original poster… started when I was streaming, my router overheated and I had to restart it. Once it came back online, I couldn’t connect to the internet, although I could see the network. Using an Rpi3, none of my other wireless computers are affected.

When I select my network, it takes a long time until it asks for the password, and then a long time to process that until it gives me the failure notice.

I tried the solutions provided above, but to no avail. When I choose my network in the connmanctl solution, it takes a long time to process and gives me a message saying the process was aborted. Switching my dongle to another port doesn’t do anything, switched out my TP LINK TL-WN722N with a WiPi, nothing. I even moved my micro sd card into my Rpi2, same result!

I tried following the log uploader directions, but I think some steps are missing…here’s the link if I assumed the correct steps, uploading the Kodi Log: http://paste.osmc.io/ayoduwocus Here’s an upload for all configs and logs if you need that: http://paste.osmc.io/zupanumibi

I then grabbed another microsd (pretty new) and put osmc on it from scratch. Ran into the same problem during setup, the “working” never stopped (about 15 mins of waiting) after I entered the password, so I can’t upload a log. I even tried cyborg5’s solution, same result. What the heck is going on??

PS I know the password is correct!

Crisis averted! I restarted my router, and presto! Strange that it would only affect my pi connections, but there you go.

Thanks to cyborg5. Reinstall osmc on sd card, second time I did not configured SSID/pssd on wifi, instead I set wired connection. Then just enabled wifi and it worked! Problem is in OSMC installer.

Glad to hear you got it working, however without seeing any logs, this is an unfounded statement.

I’d put money on your WiFi hotspot being the issue. How far are you from the router; connected via 2.4 or 5Ghz?

See Beacon frame - Wikipedia for some background

I’m sorry I didn’t catch any logs to help :expressionless:
It definitely didn’t look like wifi issue. I was trying this several times, disabling/enabling wifi adapter.
Signal was very strong, I got 2 antennas TP-link, working on 2.5GHz, OpenWrt. Distance 10m, no wall between, just wood doors :slight_smile:

Indeed it is very confusing. A process that should have been straightforward (at least with other Pi distros) seems to be a nightmare with OSMC. No UI feedback whatsoever! Users cannot tell if they’re typing in a wrong password (perhaps due to e.g., a misconfiguration in the keyboard layout) because they cannot see what they’re typing - there isn’t an option to “unmask” the password field (something that’s pretty common to have) - and as far as I can tell, there’s no place to go and test your keyboard or alter its layout (in case it’s the culprit).

Apart from that, the feedback given is less than sufficient. I shall point out to the developers that “Connection to failed” is far from specific. After going through all replies it became evident that somewhere the cause of the issue (e.g., bad password) is clearly logged, so how about letting users know that in the UI?

Well anyway. Maybe some users are comfortable in connecting their RPis to an ethernet port AND still be able to see what’s on the screen, but that’s not my case, where the router is in a place where there’s not a chance I can bring a monitor up close to have both the Pi hooked up to my router AND a monitor hooked up to the Pi.

At this point I’m already giving up on this; I find it a better use of my time and effort to go after another distro.

Does any other distro actually issue the specific failure? I’ve never seen any other linux or windows system advise that a failure to connect was due to a “bad password”.

When the connection is rejected, it is not always clear. This can be caused by a variety of reasons that cannot always be discerned by the client (OSMC). WiFi issues in OSMC seem to be far and few between however.

Understood. While we do endeavour to improve OSMC where we can; this one may be tricky.
Use what works for you. I’d expect the same behaviour with other distros however.

If you do have any issues and wish to continue using OSMC, please feel free to contact me personally at sam@osmc.tv and I’d be happy to look in to them.

Sam

1 Like

All I can say so far is that Volumio lets you see what you’re typing in the password field. That’s a big step forward to me. I’m not here to bash on people’s children (especially after the hard work put into it), but merely to suggest points that could be improved.

I think I saw a reply by sam_nazarko mentioning something regarding having seen in the logs submitted by another user that bad_password was somewhere in there to be found. My suggestion was to simply issue this as a user-friendly UI message. I don’t see why not do it, if the info’s there somewhere. I am also a developer and I do strive to try/catch as much as I can for users to be able to self-care whenever possible.

sam_nazarko I saw your reply to me with good eyes - it made me rethink my decision to give up on this distro (although I’m giving Volumio a go as I type) - so far it kinda looks as though I need to try using a Wifi dongle with some sort of external antenna; I suspect the RPi’s internal Wifi chip might not be getting a steady RF signal - Volumio keeps going back to Hotspot mode after setting up the AP credentials. I’m having my Pi setup combined with a Suptronics X5000K combo (which comes with a metal enclosure, and I suspect this might be weakening the signal).

I wanna find a dongle that has a compatible chipset with linux in these distros and also gives me dual band. Any suggestions are welcome.

This will do the trick: https://osmc.tv/store/product/802-11ac-wifi-dongle/. We support it and it will remain supported as an official device.

How’s about an option to hide/show password (in My OSMC 2) when entering a WiFi password?
We can usually tell when there’s a password error; but it’s often not always the problem. Authentication error is not very clear.

Nonetheless, I’d be happy to help you with connection problems.

If however, you get a problem connecting with Volumio, then the problem is not likely to be exclusive to OSMC.

Keep us posted.

Sam

1 Like

I, for one, would be really appreciative od an option to render it visible while entering, as sometimes delays in receiving cause a problem
Derek

2 Likes

How’s about an option to hide/show password (in My OSMC 2) when entering a WiFi password?

That sounds like a winner. This is exactly the way it’s done in Volumio - you get a button that toggles between show/hide characters. This would tremendously help in eliminating the basic cause for a “connection failed” scenario.

Another idea (again, like it’s done in Volumio) would be to offer some sort of “backdoor entry” for people to try and get to the linux console (login as root or some default user account, as an “advanced option” perhaps?) to allow issuing commands that help inspect, e.g., which interfaces are detected and whether they’re up, etc… that would avoid the need to connect the Pi to a router via an ethernet port and ssh to it. Just keep it plugged to the monitor, attach a keyboard/mouse dongle and you’re off.

I do sincerely appreciate the hard work put so far towards building a nice UI (and it is really nice and professional), but in my case (for a device that’s intended for “headless” use and just play back local and streamed hi-def audio), better to have easy access to the innards (to allow for performing basic linux maintenance whenever necessary), than to have an on-screen keyboard. Just my two cents.

If however, you get a problem connecting with Volumio, then the problem is not likely to be exclusive to OSMC.

Indeed, it now starts to look more like I might have a weak signal. Hence my purchasing of an external wifi dongle with a 5dbi antenna. I went local, 'cause in my particular case, it’s cheaper and faster than paying delivery from across the pond… the one I went for is not dual band, but more importantly, it bears the Ralink 5370 chipset (which is said to be compatible with many Pi distros - we’ll see if OSMC and Volumio are among them); it also promises me 900Mbps data transfer speed. But I could only begin to have a clue about what was going on once I switched to Volumio - due to the fact it offers access to the console and also a hotspot for direct connection - it allowed me to do some connection diagnostics that I wasn’t able to do during OSMC setup (and after). So in a matter of minutes I knew (by elimination) that the only variable left to check for would be signal strength.

I’ll keep you posted after the stuff I’ve ordered arrives and I do some testing (with both Volumio and OSMC).

I also need to point out that the time it takes to write the OSMC 2 image to the microSD (I use Win32 Disk Imager for that) is considerably shorter than for Volumio - this clues me into believing it might be a much more “slimmed down” image (I suspect that it might be “deflated” during the setup - but that’s speculation) - anyway, good work on that.

Our shipping to Brazil is only £0.99 for smaller items; but it can take a few days to get there. I think from next year with some work with our delivery partners we will be able to offer free shipping on everything.

Yes – OSMC has a small footprint. We also make the partitions dynamically to be more flexible; and to create a smaller image and reduce the time that would be wasted writing empty partition space to the medium.

The wavemon tool (can be installed on OSMC) is quite useful for determining signal strength.

1 Like

I think from next year with some work with our delivery partners we will be able to offer free shipping on everything.

Fair enough. 0.99 isn’t bad at all, it really comes down to getting it quicker… I promise I’ll be a customer for that nice little dongle with dual band as soon as I get this connectivity issue sorted out.

The wavemon tool (can be installed on OSMC) is quite useful for determining signal strength.

I didn’t know about wavemon (more of a windows mouse pilot than a linux guy myself) - thanks for the hint, will give that a go.

EDIT
Er… apart from the fact that first and foremost, I need to get myself connected in order to apt-get the wavemon package… But from the console (yes, found the console thanks to @fzinken’s tip down below) it looks like my router’s SSID comes and goes (performing scan wifi and services several times in a row under the connmanctl prompt showed me that) so it definately looks like an external dongle is probably gonna solve this. Fingers crossed.

Well luckily you definetly have full terminal access on OSMC :wink:

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

1 Like

Aha moment… I thought there wasn’t any “backdoor” console access - as yesterday I did

Navigate to the power icon in Kodi
Select Exit/Quit
Wait for the OSMC splash screen to appear

But then I never could’ve figured out on my own that I had to

Press ESC on your keyboard

To get to the console as I wanted. That one got me. Sneaky bastard…

Okay - let’s give that one more go.

Just a brief update - I spent the entire weekend playing around with my new X5000K and that little dongle I’ve ordered has made a world of difference. Well worth mentioning that as soon as I plugged it in and powered on my little system, it chewed up and swallowed the dongle without a hiccup! Really nicely done by the developers.

Setting up wireless networking was easy from that point on; but it’s also worth commenting on the UI “stuttering” at the Wireless setup screen after choosing the AP and entering the password. It kinda gets “stuck” and you need to be patient and wait for the right time to select “Apply>Exit”. My hunch is that it may have to do with polling the SSIDs?

Anyway, now that I’m playing around with it, I’ve fulfilled my promise and ordered the OSMC Dual Band Adapter to replace this little one that I used this weekend (efficient, but extremely fragile - the micro-BNC connector came loose from the PCB after the unit suffered a light bump on the antenna while I was moving the box around in the shelf - a couple drops of solder fixed it).

I’m currently experimenting with different Android apps to control OSMC.
UPDATE
In case anyone’s wondering about the same thing, the app I find the most robust and efficient to work with Kodi from my phone is 4-Head. I have tested Yatse and Kore; the latter is ‘ok’ but I found it too limited and not too much concern has been taken in making the app more resilient to websockets connection failures. Yatse seems to break (although you don’t see it unless you’re hooked up to the HDMI) when using my add-ons (e.g., MP3 Streams never plays anything).

1 Like

fixed issues i just had on a clean install of OSMC working just fine on wifi and then power off safely and moving to room 10 feet away and no longer could get onto my wifi, even when 1 foot from router. did the connmanctl controls and fixed my issues, thanks!!