Wifi password length

Hi,

I’ve just changed my rooter and tried to reconnect with oscm wifi (RPI3) to it until now I used wired network, but now it is not possible anymore. All of my other devices were able to connect except osmc. Supprisingly it failed. After many trial I had to reduce the length of my wifi password (and/or remove some special char from it). Is there any limitation from osmc what kind of char and/or length should be for the wifi password? For example .#! etc can not be in it? I’ve read about the printable ascii chars on ASCII - Wikipedia as wpa2 accepts it, but it seems from osmc I can’t. Can you help me in it?

Thanks

I don’t think there is any limitation in OSMC, but first check if those keys on your keyboard are printing the right characters. You can do this in a file rename dialogue. You can also check in /var/lib/connman/wifi* where passwords are stored in plain text (!)

Tested with Vero 4K + WPA2 + 63 characters passphrases and also passwords containing chars like ! . # $ % & / ( ) … works as expected.

I do not like the fact that the password is readable in the settings file as plaintext since this would be a no-go for me to use the Wi-Fi of the OSMC device at all.

1 Like

It does seem odd, but you can’t access it through the gui. Besides, most ppl leave the passphrase as the one printed on the back of their router. :unamused:

I just came across this point, because I did not find the wpa_supplicant.conf file on my RPi with osmc. But indeed I found my WPA passphrase in PLAIN text in that connman directory. Is there really no way to encrypt that password or file?

No – the password needs to be stored in a way that it can be used to connect to the network.

Sam