- download an image from the “Disk images” section of the download page
- find and uncompress the image:
(use the path of the image you downloaded)
- check the list of mounted devices:
- insert your SD card
- check the list of mounted devices again:
- note the filesystem path of the SD card which appeared in the list, e.g.
- unmount the filesystem:
sudo umount /dev/sdd1
(use path from the list)
- repeat for any extra partitions on the SD card, e.g.
sudo umount /dev/sdd5
- copy the image onto the SD card:
sudo dd bs=4M if=~/Downloads/OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160502.img of=/dev/sdd
- IMPORTANT: this destroys all data on the device. Make sure you type the correct device path for your SD card. Otherwise you might wipe your hard disk or SDD drive.
- make sure the SD card is ready to be removed:
- remove the SD card, insert it in your Raspberry Pi and power up
See the Installing Operating System Images on Linux page on the Raspberry Pi website for more details.