Will a USB to HDMI adapter work?

I’ve ordered a VERO 4K to play 4K HDR content. For this I need to connect the Vero 4K directly to my LG OLED55C7 tv as my current Audio/Video processor (Emotiva XMC-1) not yet supports HDMI 2.0. For this an upgraded HDMI board is planned but not yet available.

Now I can connect the VERO 4K via Optical out to the Emotiva XMC-1 but then multi channel lossless audio is not support (only Dolby Digital and DTS). Also the USB audio input on the Emotiva XMC-1 is not an option as this connection only supports two channel audio.

So I was thinking if I could use an USB to HDMI convertor (HDMI 2.0 is not needed) to route the multi channel audio via this device to the Emotiva XMC-1 than I still can have multi channel audio. Video will be routed via the normal HDMI to the TV.

Did anybody already tried this?

It looks like you won’t have to wait long for the upgrade board. I think I would put up with AAC in the meantime. I suspect you would struggle to get Vero to work with two HDMI outputs.

But it would indeed be an interesting question. Also for the RPi3 as it doesn’t allow for HD audio passthrough. With a USB HDMI adapter this might be solvable… Didn’t find any information on such a solution anywhere. Can anybody comment on this in more detail? Could it be done?

Generally support for USB HDMI adapters under Linux is quite limited. This might change with more USB-C to HDMI solutions but I would not bet on this.

Hm, ok… In the end it would be enough already to “just” have a USB HDMI adapter for HD audio and not video. So, something like most UHD Blu-ray players now offer: dual HDMI out for seperate audio and video.

It’s not possible. It would cause a lot of problems, even if it did work.
You might be able to split the HDMI signal somehow however.