Wireless Network Card Hangs since September updates

Originally I notice that I loose connectivity to my home network once in a while. I installed a tool to monitor my Raspberry Pi and I notice with the tools that once in a while I will have so network loss and packet errors. I moved my device closer to the AP to get better reception and that help a lot.

Now since the September updates I’ve seeing that my wireless USB installed on the Raspberry (Ralink rt5370) is hanging more and more. I experience the following issues:

1. Playing movies from my media center does not run smoothly. The video breaks, the video sometimes is moving in slow motion. If I play the same movie from another computer on my home network or my PS3 I do not have the problem

2. This is the most impacting, the network card freezes and loose complete access to the network. When I check the tool that I use to monitor the network (PRTG) I see the ping to the network card failed and it never recover. For example this morning when I checked PRTG console, my Raspberry stop sending pings back at 4:00AM. I have to reboot the Raspberry for this to work. I have had to this several times now. There is something locking the network card. This started with the September updates.

Don’t know how to troubleshoot this issue. I’m happy to share logs or anything just please provide me instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I enabled logging on my Raspberry, as mentioned earlier this happens at randoms, a lot of unhappy faces recently as well. I’ve never used the logs feature before. I just went into it. There are a bunch of options to enable within in upload logs. Should I enable any of them? What logs should I upload as it might happen any time and I might not see the problem until the next day or couple hours later.

This points to a more serious issue (e.g. SD Card) but maybe that can be seen in the logs

If in doubt just click “All Configs and Logs” and then choose “Upload Selected Logs Now”. As mentioned above you might have an underlying problem that might be visible from the Kernel log.

Thx for your response. Last week I reinstalled KODI from scratch again thinking that it could clear the network and sad faces I was getting but it did not. Like 3 hours ago, the network card hanged again. I had to reboot, then I uploaded the logs, not sure how it works and how to let you know which one is mine. I hope you know. If I did not do it well please let me know. Thx again for your support

After you uploaded the logs you are presented with a URL/Code which you would have to let us know!
This is not the NSA, without that code no chance to find your logs. So if you have not noted that code, upload again and let us know the URL.

Sorry about that, I thought you guys were better than the NSA :-). I uploaded again and the only message I got is the URL below. I took a picture of it. Let me know if you need anything from me, I will happy to do. Thx

paste.osmc.io/oneharuqoy

That was absolutely the right information to share. A first glance I can not see any major issue in the log files. But maybe one of the other guys sees something.
While I can see that you are overclocking. I would first remove that to see if your problems go away. Especially the sdram 500 MHZ is not very stable.

If you have done that and your PI is more stable but you still have your wireless problems you may want to install wavemon to monitor the link quality.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wavemon

Drop the overclock to Normal and see what happens in 24 hours

Sam

Sorry I as out of town, I changed the overclock to Normal this morning. I will let you know how it goes. Last night the Raspberry was in some kind of loop as it was trying to install some update and it couldn’t so the sad face will appear and it will try again. At the same time it kept turning the TV on even thought I turned the TV off. Didn’t know how to stop the cycle so I unplugged the box until this morning.

Happy to report since I change the overclock to Normal it has been working fine. Thx for all your support.

Turbo mode was a little too aggressive on the Pi 2. This will be adjusted in the October update

Sam