X forwarding in SSH

is there a way to do this?
I would like to use easytag to edit music files on a usb drive connected on OSMC.

You’re going to have to explain what you’re trying to do a bit better - there is no X11 in OSMC so I don’t see what use X forwarding would be for you.

I am using OSMC headless, no TV or monitor attached. Only for music, transmission and headless-jdownloader controlled with respective remote apps. Samba is enabled and configured.

I would like to use an application to edit music files. Since we don’t have an desktop environment and easytag or puddletag have issues working on network shares especially with flac files, I thought I can use ssh.

I am aware that this is out of OSMC’s scope but if there is a solution it would be very helpful.

@ytandogan

check sshd_config at vero if “X11Forwarding” is not explicitly forced to “no”.
if not, try to connect with parameter -X (upper X) to vero.

once logged, (and connecting client was started with -X), as failover on vero side you can use

export DISPLAY=IP/host (from which you are connecting - if there is no FW)

(and of course X is not needed to be installed at all - only set of minimum libs (on vero side), which you can trigger to install with for example “apt-get install xterm”. or once you decide to install Xwindow app on it, apt will install those libs anyhow)

1 Like

@mk01

installing xterm solves the problem.
As you have mentioned other libs are already installed with easytag and puddletag.
Many thanks.

Hey Sam,

Hoping you can help me. I am trying to install iceweasel and run it through an SSH connection but keep getting an error. This is all to try to allow me to log in to my ISP login splash page with OSMC.

(process:734): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion ‘sys_page_size == 0’ failed
Error: cannot open display: :0

I am running the latest build of Kodi 15.2 on an RPI2

I apt-get installed

xterm
xauth
iceweasel

I set the export display =:0

Initially I was getting an “X11 request rejected” during my SH login but installing xauth fixed that. I am SSHing in using both puTTY and Bitvice, getting the same error. Both logs show x11 as being configured during the login process.

Any ideas as to what am I missing?

Hi,

I have no idea about iceweasel, if it is an app with GUI all you need to do is:

ssh -Y username@osmcIP or ssh -X username@osmcIP
enter password
iceweasel &

the application you execute should start with gui.

Should have been more clear. Iceweasel is just a variant of Firefox for linux.

I dont have a spare linux box so I am running puTTY or Bitvise with x11 enabled, on a Windows 10 PC to try and launch my browser on my OSMC Rpi2. This will allow me to do a two step login with my ISP/Hotspot that needs to launch a webpage to complete the login process.

This is what I get when running puTTY.

I first ssh into my OSMC RPi2 and log in.

Then I try to launch my browser…

osmc@SaloonMediaServer:~$ iceweasel

This is what I get back

[1] 2546
osmc@SaloonMediaServer:~$
(process:2546): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion ‘sys_page_size == 0’ failed
console.error:
[CustomizableUI]
Custom widget with id loop-button does not return a valid node
console.error:
[CustomizableUI]
Custom widget with id loop-button does not return a valid node

Any insight would be most welcome!

Thanks

Rick

Do you have an X-Server (like in cygwin) Running on your Windows Machine? Otherwise this will not work because with SSH X Forwarding OSMC will expect the X-Server to be running on the receiving machine.

Ok, but why does then the browser has to run on OSMC? I believe the easier approach is a SSH port forwarding/tunnel that forwards a port on your OSMC to an external IP/port at your ISP and then you point the browser on your PC to that tunnel to open the page at your ISP via OSMC.

I think you are on to something here. I just did a fresh install and have not reloaded cygwin yet !

I like your idea of port fwding too. I will give that a try tomorrow when my brain is fresh.

Thanks for the insight !!!

What a great forum.

Cheers,

Rick

I did some research on connman, the AccessPoint app that Kodi uses, and found it has a command line interface, “connmanctl” that will allow me to configure and connect to my wifi hotspot.

This negates the need to run a web browser to do it.

Thanks for your help

Rick