Yet another black screen upon boot post

Yesterday disabled some 3rd party add-ons. Rebooted and continued to use device w/o any issues and powered off last night. Today after power up, it boots to black screen. Vero 4k+ connected directly to HDMI port on TV. Cable and power supply ruled out. Restarting mediacenter via ssh only loads blackscreen; restarting kodi will load OSMC skin. Log attached (note log level set to 1 in advancedsettings.xml), please advise.

https://paste.osmc.tv/atiwujozan.xml

Try updating the system sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

How are you doing that?

I can start osmc with sudo kodi start, but no addons or other skins shows up as installed. Also, while within OSMC namual update shows none available.

I would try loading up default settings and then if that works okay then you could maybe selectively restore some parts to figure out what went sideways or to just ease the burden of starting from scratch…

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

Can you try systemctl start mediacenter

This is the correct way to start Kodi

If you’re starting it with sudo like that, you are probably starting it as root and the Kodi userdata for that will be in /root/.kodi not /home/osmc/.kodi

Sam

systemctl start mediacenter is what I’ve used that returns black screen. start kodi is what gets OSMC skin to load.

Was hoping to avoid tediously having to rebuild.

So try default userdata just to make sure that works. If that is good then remove the newly created clean settings, and copy your renamed userdata back to that location and then delete texture13.db and the Thumbnails folder (the cache database is showing errors in your log) and try starting mediacenter back up again. If it still fails stop mediacenter again and delete guisettings.xml and see if that gets it going. If you keep a copy of .kodi then you can play all you want and still get back to square one easy enough.

1 Like

Restored a backup from few months ago on network drive.

PS: This site giving me 500 errors. Also, you’re earlier suggestion re backing up .kodi didn’t work.