Youtube audio stutter after upgrade to osmc 2021.08-1 running kodi 19.1

On my Vero4K after factory reset:

• set resolution to 3840x2160p
  • set up HTTP Web server with password
  • set up YouTube Add-on (automatically selects v6.8.11 and installs InputStream Helper)
  • enable debug logs and reboot

On my GrapheneOS Android phone:

At this point the video starts playing on my TV and the video is smooth. Just the audio stutters a lot dropping almost a second ever couple of seconds.

For above steps the logs are recorded here https://paste.osmc.tv/xoqetodoni

Before the OSMC 2021.08.1 running Kodi 19.1 upgrade of today I played youtube video’s fine. Even had UHD playing smooth with MPEG-DASH set up. After the upgrade the audio stutter was introduced. I did the bare minimum setup described above to see if the problem was related to my tweaking. Apparently it was not.

I hope you can find what caused this problem to be introduced with this upgrade.
And I hope you can fix it.
Let me know if additional information is needed.

This is a known bug. Please set your GUI resolution to 1080p and let us know if that fixes it.

A better solution is being worked on, but note we recommend setting the GUI 1080p anyway.

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

Wow, thanks for the lightning fast feedback. Updated the test case / problem description and provided new logs (problem persists). I did not get the ‘whitelist’ comment above. I did not change anything from factory default there, so I suspect that is the same as you recommend. I did not try the colour subsampling yet. Do you expect that impacts the audio stutter?

On my Vero4K after factory reset:

• set resolution to 1920x1080p
  • keep whitelist as factory default (equals * / empty ?)
  • set Adjust display refresh rate to On start/Stop
  • set up HTTP Web server with password
  • set up YouTube Add-on (automatically selects v6.8.11 and installs InputStream Helper)
  • enable debug logs
  • reboot

At this point the video starts playing on my TV and the video is smooth. Just the audio stutters a lot dropping almost a second ever couple of seconds.

For above steps the logs are recorded here https://paste.osmc.tv/etizufukob

Before the OSMC 2021.08.1 running Kodi 19.1 upgrade of today I played youtube video’s fine. Even had UHD playing smooth with MPEG-DASH set up. After the upgrade the audio stutter was introduced. I did the bare minimum setup described above to see if the problem was related to my tweaking. Apparently it was not.

I hope you can find what caused this problem to be introduced with this upgrade.
And I hope you can fix it.
Let me know if additional information is needed.

Update : also with
System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)
the problem persists.

I now understand I misunderstood the advise from fzinken:

I thought he meant something like ‘leave empty to allow all’ or something.

I now understand his advise was to select all options in the whitelist explicitly. I will try that again this weekend and start a new post with new logs and updated description if the problem persists.

Thanks for your time fzinken and grahamh !

No, actually empty meant no entry choosen. In that case Kodi would upscale (from your GUI resolution) to any of the available resolutions but would not downscale.

Than I misunderstood again, sorry.
I will have to go to work now, but will check this weekend or this evening.
I will make sure what was actually the whitelist that I used after the factory reset I did.
If it was empty the above description and logs is accurate. If not I will upload new logs with the empty whitelist attempt.

Again, from the top:

On my Vero4K+ after (again) factory reset:

• set resolution to 1920x1080p
  • keep whitelist as factory default (no entries are selected)
  • set Adjust display refresh rate to On start/Stop
  • keep HTTP Web server on as factory default
  • set up YouTube Add-on:
    → automatically selects v6.8.16+matrix.1
    → allow to automatically install InputStream Helper 0.2.2
    → skip setup-wizard (no Google account)
  • enable debug logs and enable additional component specific logging for:
    → Verbose logging for the FFmpeg libraries
    → Verbose logging for the Audio component
    → Verbose logging for the Video component
    → Verbose logging of the audio/video timing information
  • reboot

But this time the audio stutter is gone. Difference with posting before:

So, problem is either solved or I cannot reproduce anymore today.

Thanks for your help.

TL;DR case closed