10 bit hevc on Vero 4k issue?

Hi all, forgive any cluelessness here…

I was using OMSC on a pi 3 and it couldn’t play some hevc files (that play fine on my mac).
So I bought the Vero 4k thinking that the issue was the pi; however the hevc files still don’t play on the Vero 4k… the hevc codec details (from vlc) are:
Planar 4:4:4 YUV 10-bit LE, resolution 960x736.

I thought the Vero 4K could play all hevc content, so maybe it’s something else in my setup?
The Vero 4K is connected via the hdmi that came with the Vero 4K to my 1080 projector (optoma hd131xe in case that matters?)
Any help or suggestions much appreciated!

Please provide some more information; a helpful guide can be found here: How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

When you say they don’t play, what happens?
MediaInfo would be useful

Hi, thanks for recommendations.

Log url (while trying to playing the file): http://paste.osmc.tv/rusobabeti

MediaInfo report: http://paste.osmc.io/funitugimo.sm

And going by the steps in the useful support request guide:

The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC: hvec playback issues; on pressing play menu stays in place, file playback seems to attempt to start (Menu background image disappears) but no video or audio appears on Vero 4K. (On the pi 3 some audio came through, delayed and choppy). File plays fine on my 2012 macbook air. Have tried deleting and rewriting files to external drive, issue still occurs. Occurs with multiple files (All one TV series).

What you were doing when this issue occurred: attempting to play a hvec file from tv shows list

Whether you can replicate this issue on demand. If you can, then please provide some steps on how an OSMC developer can reproduce the same issue.
It replicates, I’ve attached a MediaInfo report.

The device you are currently running OSMC on: Currently Vero 4K, issue occured on Pi 3 with OSMC too.

What peripherals are attached to the device? Vero 4K remote control dongle, and a 4TB Seagate expansion portable drive

Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC? No

When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not present? It first appeared while trying to playback these files.

Those files seem corrupted from the log.

Try this HEVC, 10-bit clip to make sure playback of clips are working as expected in general.

Thanks for quick reply Sam, you and all here do great work, thank you, much appreciated.
Jellyfish file plays fine.
So I guess the files are the issue, not the player?
Out of curiosity, if you can answer without too much hassle, what is a corruption that would be across all these files (a whole tv series)?
And any reason a file might play on my macbook but not the Vero 4k even if corrupted?

Hardware decoders are more likely to choke than software decoders.

It’s likely the MacBook is playing the content in software; and is working around the issue.

Sam

Ok, thanks Sam, so I guess it’s the specific files, they are corrupted in a way that causes them to choke the hardware decoders, it’s not down to the files type or encoding settings being too much for the Vero 4k? Or is there some file types or encodings I should avoid? Thanks for your help.

HEVC-10bit should play fine.

Are you encoding these files, or did you obtain them from somewhere else?

Sam

Yes, other HEVC-10bit does, just curious about these files, I guess I should learn how to read/understand the logs! Obtained from elsewhere. Thanks.