20+ second delay to before music start playing

You still would have added the sources in Kodi after mounting via fstab. That’s how Kodi works.

As I wrote your NAS is still mounted as the FSTAB has not been deleted.
So in Filemanger → Root Filesystem → mnt you still will find them

1 Like

i copied the old sources.xml to the .kodi/userdata directory and restarted. The shares are back as they should.

Unfortunately the problem is still there… Audio is delayed at the start of SOME songs.

I have posted in Synology forum as well to see if anyone can help me with the error messages i get when i try to install iperf3.

Maybe it’s an encoding problem. How are the songs that are a problem encoded?

EDIT: You did try those songs locally and they were fine, right?

I wouldn’t be so sure about that… Live tv for me has had 30+ sec delay starting with both October and November updates, I haven’t reported because the big kernel update is forthcoming and it’d probably be a waste of time to chase down atm. I haven’t tried music so far because the visualizations are unavailable :slight_smile:

its apple lossless, some i have had for 6-7 years without any issues, and yes, as you say i did copy some of the exact same songs and tried locally and they worked.
they also work in my imac and iphone.

As you wrote it is only at the start I would assume that also if you put them into a playlist that has the same song twice only the first time it will have that delay.

Fstab should normally work better, but just a FYI you can use Kodi mounts with your NAS. Your sources.xml for Kodi mounts would be…

Summary
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>Auto-mounted drives</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>TV</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://MediaCenter:MediaCenter@192.168.1.5/Media/TV/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>__New</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://MediaCenter:MediaCenter@192.168.1.5/Media2/__New/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://MediaCenter:MediaCenter@192.168.1.5/Media/Movies/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Music Videos</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://MediaCenter:MediaCenter@192.168.1.5/Media/Music Videos/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
        <source>
            <name>Auto-mounted drives</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Music_NAS</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://MediaCenter:MediaCenter@192.168.1.5/Music/</path>
        </source>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
    <games>
    </games>
</sources>

As you wrote it is only at the start I would assume that also if you put them into a playlist that has the > same song twice only the first time it will have that delay.

You mean if i first put the local file and then thew file on the server in a play list?

That seems to point to something that the NAS is doing, especially since it doesn’t happen with video.

You could for a fun test try this (via SSH):

dd if=/mnt/Music_NAS/Compilations/(Multiple\ Artists)/Shut\ Up\ Kitty/01\ KMFDM\ -\ Mysterious\ Ways.m4a of=/dev/null status=progress

That will show how fast the file transfers.

syntax error near unexpected token `(’

No a file on your NAS and just create a Smart Playlist adding that file multiple times and then play the playlist

Opps, try:

dd if=/mnt/Music_NAS/Compilations/\(Multiple\ Artists\)/Shut\ Up\ Kitty/01\ KMFDM\ -\ Mysterious\ Ways.m4a of=/dev/null status=progress

You mean if i first put the local file and then thew file on the server in a play list?

No a file on your NAS and just create a Smart Playlist adding that file multiple times and then play the playlist

I did but got an unexpected result.
I tried several times, what happened was that when I play the playlist (with the file from the NAS), the song starts right away without any delay, but same file when accessed from kodis library still had the 25s delay.

It went so fast i thought it was another mistake…
osmc@osmc-vero:~$ dd if=/mnt/Music_NAS/Compilations/(Multiple\ Artists)/Shut\ Up\ Kitty/01\ KMFDM\ -\ Mysterious\ Ways.m4a of=/dev/null status=progress
42229+1 records in
42229+1 records out
21621309 bytes (22 MB, 21 MiB) copied, 0.451858 s, 47.8 MB/s

This mow get’s mysterious

Ok, speed looks just fine. So I think we can rule out a strange network issue.

Hmm, that’s really strange. I can’t think how the library would be causing this.

I tried several times, what happened was that when I play the playlist (with the file from the NAS), the song starts right away without any delay, but the same file when accessed from kodis library still had the 25s delay.

This mow get’s mysterious
I was at the mysterious point days ago :smiley:

Hmm, that’s really strange. I can’t think how the library would be causing this.
It doesn’t sound as if it should, but it sort of seems like it is a library issue - it’s like it can’t find the path to the file/folder. I thought of that but discarded the thought before when I noticed that once I play ONE song in an album, the other songs doesn’t get delays.

Just to do something, I am running an library update at the moment

I will try to remotely play a file on my system to compare the log files.

@stefan1 Cany you try to play a non-m4a audio file like a flac or mp3 from the NAS? Same behaviour?

Regarding the Syno package installer error: Try to find out more infos about it on the Syno in /var/log/messages.