20+ second delay to before music start playing

ok running the library update and restarting the NASD did not help at all, didnt expect it to either.
I think i already ran some mp3 files during testing, but will try and see what happens.

OK, well I gave upā€¦
I reinstalled the 201908 image of OSMC on my VERO4k and rebooted - then restored the backup i made just before reinstalling.
All went pretty well but my media folders doesnā€™t show up. When i look in the .kodi folder and check fstab and sources.xml they look the way they should, but I still cannot find them in mnt/ or anywhere.

Browsning the network for my source doesnā€™t work of course.

Thatā€™s odd. Asuume you rebooted after restoring your fstab.
Upload logs grab-logs -A maybe we spot something

https://paste.osmc.tv/fuwesovezi

Forgot to say that the Mounts are shown asd a source if i for example press into music (the section where the +add source is), but if i to browse into the source i get the replu that the share doesnt exist - that make me think atat at least the sources.xml work.

You havenā€™t restored your fstab in /etc/fstab.
If you donā€™t have a backup just scroll up to one of your old log URLā€™s and search there for the content of your old fstab content

I know what happened - when i originally created the fstab i accidentally first put it in userdata, then realised the mistake and put a new copy in etc without deleting the first oneā€¦ I have backupsā€¦

But i cant get write permissions to the etc/fstabā€¦

sudo nano /etc/fstab

Thanksā€¦ i tried by FTP and nano, but forgot sudoā€¦

Now the shares are back as they should - but so is the delay when starting the trackā€¦

Well it slowly but truly points to issues with the NAS, but you might want to try either:
Could try the SMB access within Kodi (@darwindesign showed you how to)
Or you can try autofs mounts (use search function)

Now the shares are back as they should - but so is the delay when starting the trackā€¦

Well it slowly but truly points to issues with the NAS, but you might want to try either:
Could try the SMB access within Kodi (@darwindesign showed you how to)
Or you can try autofs mounts (use search function)

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing - that it might be the NAS. My DS414j must be at least 7 years old now - even if the disks have been replaced at need. I will try the other access methods first and if that diesnt work (dont exopect it to) i will have a look at the NAs, or maybe replace it.

I replaced my sources.xml with the info @darwindesign supplied and rebooted. The libraries loaded just fine, but the delay is still present.

ill try autofs mounts tomorrow - tonight I will run harddrive tests on my Synology - no idea how i can test file access on itā€¦

When i set up the autofs - which of nfs and smb would be the preferred protocol?
I assume i should clean out the sources.xml and try to map sources again from scratch after autofs is runnig?

Well if you have nfs on the NAS than try that as it also would give another alternative to try.
My recommendation would be to remove your fstab entries and just use autofs to mount to the same folders (then you donā€™t need to change the sources.xml).

Just to complete the topic here is the howto

Thanks, ill report back when i tried it!

Just to add I have a DS416j and share via NFS with the source added in kodi. No 25 sec delay.

removed fstab and edited auto.nfs.shares but things dont work - to begin with - does this entry look correct?

/mnt/Movies_NAS 192.168.1.5:Media/Movies

As I understood the instructions, this entry will mount the folder Movies that is located on the share Media on server with ip 192.168.1.5. The Movies folder will be mounted as Movies_NAS.

also, dont i need to add my password and login to NAS anywhere when i use nfs? (I added /- /etc/auto.nfs.shares --timeout 15 browse to auto.master file)

Here is an example, how I mount the music folder of my Syno (DS214se) in /etc/fstab:

synologyds214se.fritz.box:/volume1/music /mnt/music   nfs x-systemd.automount,noauto   0   0

No NFS is not using username/password, access is controlled by IP Address Range that you would have to allow access on the Server.

This looks right, did you also configure auto.master?

If you have auto.master also configured and you given access rights on the server. I would follow the troubleshooting steps in the how to

You need the leading /, and it has to match how itā€™s shared on the NAS. If itā€™s shared as /Media/Movies then:

/mnt/Movies_NAS 192.168.1.5:/Media/Movies

would be correct. Also, linux is case sensitive, so make sure cases match.

NFS normally does not require authentication.