25Hz content playing back at 50Hz

This seems to only affect people with a 4K TV.

Interestingly, a reviewer reported this problem with Kodi, but said they didn’t
experience it with Vero 4K. It seems an advancedsetting.xml change can be used to remedy
this.

Can you confirm if this resolves the problem for you?

If it works well, I can resolve this in the next release so that this change isn’t
necessary.

Sam

I added this block to my advancedsettings.xml:

<video>
	<override>
		<adjustrefreshrate>
			<fps>25.0</fps>
			<refresh>25.0</refresh>
		</adjustrefreshrate>
	</override>
</video>

It seems to come from this thread and yields no results for me. The video is still output at 1080p50hz.

Interestingly enough I just watched some 25Hz and 30Hz (at 1080p60hz) material and did not notice any frame skips. This is with mediacenter 17.8-098. Maybe it is fixed in Kodi 18?

Hi,

From looking at the article provided I believe your override tags maybe in the wrong place, please try:

<video>
<adjustrefreshrate>
	<override>
	<fps>25.0</fps>
	<refresh>25.0</refresh>
	</override>
</adjustrefreshrate>
</video>

Thanks Tom.

Good catch. I changed it, restarted mediacenter and played a 25Hz movie but it is still output as 1080p50hz.

No, have the same problem and a Full HD TV!

Did you try the suggestion? Did it help?

Sam

Hi Sam. I’d already tried the advancedsettings override setting, having seen a similar discussion about the same issue for Kodi users with the Nvidia Shield. No change here, still outputting at 50hz. From the discussion there, it would appear this is a Kodi issue, as other apps (eg. Plex) seem to be changing refresh rate correctly.

Have you tried to manually change the display once the video is started to see if it plays correctly?

echo 1080p25hz > /sys/class/display/mode

I actually migrated from the shield tv to the Vero 4k yesterday because of this problem. The shield tv has broken frame doubling from 25fps to 50hz. But I did not find that to be a problem with the Vero 4k so far, I watched 2-3 streams with 25fps, they were played very smoothly at 50hz on the Vero 4k. I didn’t even have to use to workaround in the advanced settings.

Maybe I am not sensitive enough to notice any issues. The shield tv problem with 25fps material was terrible, really terrible and even the most inexperienced user would have cried foul. The issue on the shield is not Kodi related since you hvae those problems with other apps on the shield as well. Frame doubling 25/50 is simply and totally broken on the shield tv.

Compared to that, the streams I watched yesterday on the Vero looked extremely smooth.

Using the echo command works fine: the refresh rate is switched and the video is played correctly.

I did some digging and it appears that this working as designed, but it seems to be designed poorly (as it causes frame skipping in Kodi 17). I also found a few different work arounds that didn’t work for me on the Vero 4k.

It definitely looks like a Kodi issue. I’ll keep a close eye on this now that I’m running Kodi 18. Theoretically running 25Hz material on 50Hz should not cause any frame drops as every frame is just doubled, right?

I have to agree with @Nickelig that the skipping I experienced in Kodi 17 was subtle, but I did notice it though. I could be sensitive for this though. Again: I watched the same 25Hz and 30Hz material with Kodi 18 and did not see the skips.

Confirmed, using the echo command does work and changes the output to 1080p at 25hz. This, however, didnt solve the frameskipping/judges on my source file, so it appears the media must be at fault here (though it seemed to be be playing smoothly when checked on PC).

I can also confirm that the subsequent episodes fr the same series, also 25hz, seem to play fine/smoothly at 50hz, again suggesting it’s the source file at fault here.

Ok cool. Yeah I was about to say- if you playback a 25fps file at 50hz it shouldn’t really stutter as it’s a perfect 1:2 ratio so each frame would just get doubled. It’s weird if they look good on the pc as I’m assuming the monitor is running at 60hz

Yep, it’s strange. Monitor is at 1080p 60hz, but the file is as smooth as butter when played with VLC and Kodi on PC.

I will have to find a flawless 25fps file to give a final opinion… I simply do not have 25fps files in my collection, the only times I encounter 25fps media is via internet streams… and those may have frame drops for various reasons.

I don’t believe we have the same problems that the Shield has, but rather a couple of problematic clips that warrant some further investigation.

Be careful of that: setting the video mode in this manner will change the video mode; but Kodi won’t be aware of this change. Same situation as your PM, that’s why you might get a quarter of the screen in use when you manually change to a 4K video mode via the command line. There are other parameters involved in display setup; including fractional modesetting (which is now a sysfs parameter) and if these are not set through the usual chain (ordering is important) then things may end up going a bit weird.

With that said: a reboot will resolve these problems.

Sam

Make sure to get a 25Hz (or 30Hz) file with a slow panning shot. That’s when frame skipping is the most apparent.

These files are 29.970 fps but no panning shots though.

We test with Jellyfish (particularly the 10-bit HEVC, HDR variety) a lot; so those clips should play back smoothly.

My son is watching Toy Story at the moment and it has some panning shots in the opening sequence. I immediately spotted the motion issue, and indeed it is playing back at 1080p50 (movie is 25 Hz). Using

echo 1080p25hz > /sys/class/display/mode

does change the refresh rate but does not solve the motion issues. This is with Kodi 17.8-110 but I no longer think there is a difference with Kodi 17 regarding this problem.