3 questions about OSMC

Hello there

I’m trying to use OSMC with my Rpi

Do we need to be connected to the web ? Each time I’m starting Rpi+OSMC I need to plug the ethernet. But I’d like to use it without ethernet

The video 1080p are a little bit fuzzy (lightly pixelated). Is this a natural limitation or am I doing wrong ?

I can’t listen to the sound

Can’t read from an external DVD device…

Thanks for any help

Happy New year

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

There is way more advanced help on this forum but let me stab at it. No you don’t need to be online as long as what you want to watch, see, or listen to is attached to your raspberry pi. Anything for your home network or off the internet will need access to your router. Are you using hdmi? Try going to the audio settings under system/settings/system/ audio output. Set the audio output device from there. Are you playing audio through your tv or computer speakers or do you have an audio video receiver. I use an audio video receiver so I enable passthrough to let the receiver do all the work. If you do not have a receiver then make sure passthrough is not enabled. Obviously try a reboot. If you haven’t already, many things on the pi will begin to work after a reboot if anything was changed. The Pi is supposed to handle 1080p playback. There are 2 video licenses you may need to purchase for about 3-4 u.s. dollars from the pi store for best possible playback. As far as the dvd player, I haven’t tried it myself but first you need a player that has its own power source or a separately powered usb hub. The pi isn’t set up to supply a lot of power to devices. Also from my own linux experience, dvd playback can be a pain because of licensing and encryption. I got it to work once in ubuntu but I forget how. You should be able to access files that you put onto a dvd though. To watch your store bought dvd movies you will need some tweeking or a network work around because your software isn’t set up to read store bought encrypted movies. It is possible, I just don’t know the answer.

Problems with DVD-Playback Keep an eye on this question. It is about dvd playback

Thanks very much.

I managed to switch the sound on. No problem.

I’ll try to find a dvd player with a power supply to see what happens.

I’ll figure out if the video is good enough

Thanks again