3D Frame Packed output

No – the Pi seems to devolve more to the GPU and rely on ffmpeg less from what we can see. The 3D implementation on Pi is somewhat of a black box.

We think we know where the issue is.

Sam

I can confirm that the weird pause near the start of Alita - Battle Angel ISO is fixed - that is presumably the issue with seamless branching problem that you mentioned.

I can also confirm that the problem with the OSD on 4K stuff is fixed.

The stretched subtitles issue has disappeared in 3D mode, but I’m afraid there’s a side-effect: in the 4K version of Avatar that I’ve got, the subtitles now all appear half size in the top left section of the screen. (I guess they’re being rendered in a 1920x1080 window - because that’s the size of the PGS image - rather than a window the size of the actual video display area).

Confirm that forwards and backwards skips are smoother than before - it doesn’t turn juddery any more.

Should we be expecting 3D M2TS files to play correctly, btw? I’m guessing not yet, but if you were expecting them to work, I’ll elaborate on how they don’t. :slight_smile:

Elaborate…

If things look jerky, then it’s the NTSC issue outlined above

No, not the NTSC issue. Playing a 3D M2TS file it outputs a signal flagged as 2D 1080p/23.976 but which looks like TAB/OU.

There’s also a gap of a couple of seconds at the start of playback before it switches refresh rate. (That may not be a 3D specific issue, though, I’ve seen it with 2D M2TS files too).

I’m a bit busy at the moment, but I’ll get you some logs when I can. I can try and get a sample video too, if you like - give me an upload link if that would be useful.

That might not be something unique to 3D.

An upload link is available here: https://collab.osmc.tv/s/NGoO80nSfaGJJaS

Sam

Two other things:

1. I’m still able to trigger stuttery playback in Kubo and the Two Strings by skipping backwards and forwards. It seems to be more prone to it than some other films.

2. I just noticed that the info you get when you press popup-menu then OK during playback (which tells you about cache and skipped frames) is a little hard to read in 3D mode, because it’s displayed at the absolute left edge of the screen, which makes the first letter of each line visible only with the left eye and not the right - for the right eye one letter is off the edge of the screen.

Right. This is a scaling problem (2K => 4K). I will have a look at it.

Is this a MKV or ISO?

Hm, I can’t remember such an effect. I’ll hava a look at it, too.

Cool.

I have previously uploaded a sample video which reproduces this nicely (as part of another thread). See https://collab.osmc.tv/s/4qjJK3tXwQoQ4oM

Kubo and the Two Strings is an ISO. When I have a moment I’ll convert it to MKV and see if it is similarly fragile.

It’s possible different 3D TVs might handle that differently, but given that at least some behave the way mine does, moving the text a little to the right wouldn’t hurt, if it’s an easy change.

Okay, @sam_nazarko , I have (I think) uploaded a sample 3D m2ts file to that location. The first try didn’t seem to take; I tried uploading a smaller one to see if that worked better, but I’m not sure it did. :frowning:

Logs of my Vero 4K+ playing the longer file: https://paste.osmc.tv/ucarafuvuw

I tried playing a 2D (1080i/50) m2ts file and that also had a weird pause before switching refresh rate, so it’s not a 3D-specific issue, although I haven’t tested with a non-3D-enabled build, so there is a very small chance it could be specific to the 3D test build.

Would you like me to start a new thread about that? (Obviously no point if it’s a known issue…).

@sam_nazarko I mentioned this in the team chat (I don’t have 3D). Seems to have happened since 18.4 but not solidly reproducable.

It sounds like you guys have that one well in hand, but if you need logs or a (2D) sample video, let me know.

@sam_nazarko I don’t think my attempts to upload a 3D m2ts file were successful: going to that web page doesn’t show any video files uploaded, whereas I can see a file available for download at similar links I’ve uploaded to in the past. Could there be something wrong at the server end?

When I have a moment I’ll try uploading something to Dropbox instead, but that might not be till tomorrow.

The page I linked you to is drop-only (you can’t see what you uploaded).

All received.

I used to allow public viewing but someone deleted some files last time, which was annoying.

Thanks for uploading

Sam

Ah, okay. :slight_smile:

Sorry you’ve got two copies of the same file, there!

Sorted that out – no sweat.

@sam_nazarko Any other suggestions? I don’t have 29.97 as option.

Wait. It’s a work in progress

Sam

Great work bringing full 3D to the Vero4K+! I recently bought one based on this thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

Using the September 15th release and microcode update.

• Subtitles are a bit of a pain in 3D right now though since they don’t have any 3D effect. If the image is popping out of the screen the subtitles are “behind” it. I saw another post claiming this works correctly in OSMC on the PI.

• I did initially have another issue where the image was split in two halves, top and bottom. Not two complete Top/Bottom 3D images, but actual halves of the image with a big black bar between them. This was on a full HD 3D ISO. Will report if I see it again, reboot seems to have helped.

Noted. Will have a look at it.

Yeah, these things happen from time to time. I assume that there’s a CPU/GPU register not correctly reset. I was unable to reproduce that reliably yet. That issue is already on my todo list.

Some 3D blu rays have 3D subtitles that are displayed at variable depth, but many do not, and that approach can’t work with .srt text subtitles. You can partially work around the problem by adjusting Settings → Player → Language → Stereoscopic 3D depth of subtitles - I usually set mine to 10. That makes all subtitles that don’t have depth information of their own appear well in front of the screen.

1 Like