For a while now, we’ve been working on adding support for Frame Packed (MVC) output when playing 3D content.
Side-by-side and Top-and-bottom output have been possible for some time over the years, but this isn’t ideal as the resolution is halved. With these test builds, you should be able to play MVC content and output as Frame Packed 3D if your equipment supports it. These are still test builds, and we need more feedback before we can make this part of OSMC as standard.
Many thanks to @tanio99 for stepping up and helping with this. He has been very helpful.
3D MVC support is now part of our 4.9 builds. You can learn more about this new video stack here. Please continue to post 3D related issues and questions in this thread, making it clear that you are using the new 4.9 kernel.
Note: these builds are based Kodi Leia (v18) which is currently a stable build. These changes are not available for Kodi Matrix (v19) at the time of writing.
Known issues will be added here as they are reported. When reporting an issue, please provide debug logs and let us know what equipment you are using.
- Macroblocking with some video files
Solved issues will be added here as they are fixed.
25th March 2020
- Fixed playback of files with ‘NTSC’ flag that would previously stutter
3rd January 2020
- This version supports 3.14 and 4.9
- ISO support fixed
17th November 2019
- Always set stereo mode for H264/MVC video streams. This fixes M2TS MVC support
- Leave 3D mode handling to the kernel
14th September 2019
- Based on Kodi v18.4
- Fixed issues with subtitle scaling when playing files with PGS subtitles. Note that this needs testing, even with 2D content
- Seamless branching issues are fixed – caused issues with some titles such as ‘Alita’
- Fixed an issue which caused problems playing back UHD content after playing a 3D title
- Improved seeking after forwards / backward skips
- Flip eyes now works for MVC video viewed in 2D.
21st August 2019
- Added support for right-eye-first content
- Added support for ISO playback
- Fixed frozen playback with some files
25th March 2020 - 4.9 version released under new video stack
3rd January 2020 - 4.9 version released; fix ISO support
17th November - final 3.14 version is released
15th September - further improvements and fixes made
21st August - improvements and fixes made.
7th August - initial version