For a while now, we’ve been working on adding support for Frame Packed (MVC) output when playing 3D content.
Side-by-side and Top-and-bottom output have been possible for some time over the years, but this isn’t ideal as the resolution is halved. With these test builds, you should be able to play MVC content and output as Frame Packed 3D if your equipment supports it. These are still test builds, and we need more feedback before we can make this part of OSMC as standard.
Many thanks to @tanio99 for stepping up and helping with this. He has been very helpful.
Ensure that you have first updated to OSMC’s July update (2019.07-1) or later; otherwise these builds will not work.
Log in via the command line and execute these commands:
wget "https://collab.osmc.tv/s/dQ7xCKmKnVHQ9Re/download" -O mediacenter.deb sudo dpkg -i mediacenter.deb rm mediacenter.deb systemctl start mediacenter
Note: these builds are based Kodi Leia (v18) which is currently a stable build. These changes are not available for Kodi Matrix (v19) at the time of writing.
Known issues will be added here as they are reported. When reporting an issue, please provide debug logs and let us know what equipment you are using.
- Macroblocking with some video files
- Some files cannot be watched. They typically exhibit an ‘NTSC’ flag in their MediaInfo output. This is caused due to a PTS mismatch with the 2D and 3D decoder and is being investigated. In the interim, disabling Adjust Refresh Rate will allow these titles to play, albeit less smoothly than native 23.976Hz output. After some discovery this seems to be caused by IVTC being forced by ffmpeg; rather than an inherent decoder/ucode issue in SoC firmware. This is further supported by some of our earlier attempts to implement 3D MVC where we didn’t explicitly push MVC tags through the decoder chain and relied on AMCodec to pick this up, which didn’t exhibit this issue. This looks like an ffmpeg bug.
Solved issues will be added here as they are fixed.
14th September 2019
- Based on Kodi v18.4
- Fixed issues with subtitle scaling when playing files with PGS subtitles. Note that this needs testing, even with 2D content
- Seamless branching issues are fixed – caused issues with some titles such as ‘Alita’
- Fixed an issue which caused problems playing back UHD content after playing a 3D title
- Improved seeking after forwards / backward skips
- Flip eyes now works for MVC video viewed in 2D.
21st August 2019
- Added support for right-eye-first content
- Added support for ISO playback
- Fixed frozen playback with some files
There is also a microcode update for the H264 decoder. This is available via the staging repository. You should update this first before following the instructions above:
- Login via the command line
- Edit the file
- Add the following line:
deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
- Run the following commands to update:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
- Your system should have have received the update.
I also recommend you edit
/etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.
15th September - further improvements and fixes made
21st August - improvements and fixes made.
7th August - initial version