3D Frame Packed output

Not doing anything special - even directly after a reboot if I go to play anything UHD I get no OSD. A couple of UHD files play split screen, I’ll post a picture later - and again this is directly after a reboot with no 3D played beforehand.

Also how can I uninstall this testbuild?

Thanks for the information. That’s useful. We need to reproduce this here.

Okay, @sam_nazarko and @grahamh, disc_cap_3d is:

720p50hz FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide
720p60hz FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide
1080p24hz FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide
1080p25hz TopBottom SidebySide
1080i50hz SidebySide
1080i60hz TopBottom SidebySide

Ah, boo! :frowning: It has the same bug with 3D subtitles that I see on the Raspberry Pi. That makes it unusable for me…

I raised this as a Kodi bug a little while ago; see here for screenshots and a sample video: 3D subtitle bug on Raspberry Pi · Issue #16362 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub .

Vero 4K+ logs, if relevant:

HTTPS://paste.osmc.tv/isenalohun

I’m sorry to hear this :-(. Does that only happen if you’re using FP? Does it work in 2D? Can you give it a try and test it by starting that video as SBS/TAB? Does it happen then, too?

1 Like

I noticed the horizontally stretched subtitles when watching Avatar in 3D. Strangely it doesn’t do it on all of them.

Angry Sardine - can you try playing some 4K files and see if you get the OSD. Thanks!

The 3D capabilities should already be written to the kodi.log.

Playing a 4K file there is no OSD, even if I start playing it immediately after a reboot without having accessed any 3D content.

If I play a bit of Tron: Legacy in 3D and then play a UHD file without rebooting first, it goes absolutely nuts - I see what looks like the UI/menu screen, duplicated in the top and bottom half of the screen - can’t see the actual video at all.

I’ll capture some logs and post links in my next post.

Logs for playing a 4K HDR file and not getting any OSD:

https://paste.osmc.tv/agohepucok

On this occasion the UI went a bit strange after I stopped playing my UHD file, too: the background looked black instead of blue with the background wallpaper.

It happens in FP, TAB, SBS and 2D/monoscopic.

Btw, people were asking what happens if I connect directly to my TV instead of via my Lumagen RadiancePro.

The disc_cap_3d value gets some new values:

480p60hz TopBottom SidebySide
576p50hz TopBottom SidebySide
720p50hz FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide
720p60hz FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide
1080p24hz FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide
1080p25hz TopBottom SidebySide
1080p30hz TopBottom SidebySide
1080i50hz TopBottom SidebySide
1080p50hz TopBottom SidebySide
1080i60hz TopBottom SidebySide
1080p60hz TopBottom SidebySide

There’s still no OSD on a 4K file. And if I set the “Current” 3D mode to Hardware while I’m not actually playing anything, the TV reports an illegal input signal.

You can revert to a stable build by running sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero3-mediacenter-osmc

Sam

Peak brightness would increase, but black-level should stay the same, unless there’s a calibration issue.

I can confirm that, too: Life of Pi is a right-eye-first title, and the “flip eyes” option doesn’t do anything while playing that.

@sam_nazarko and @tanio99: I’ve noticed that, occasionally, if I skip backwards and forwards a lot, playback becomes jerky and the sound drops out. But it happens rarely enough that I’m not sure I can reproduce it while logging is enabled. If I can, I’ll post logs.

Suggestion: this would probably need a Kodi change, but it would make more sense to me to have all of the 3D OSD options on the “3D” menu rather than some of them there and some of them on the “Video settings” menu.

Minor thing: if I have the global 3D mode preference set to “Ask me”, and, when the prompt pops up, I select “Cancel”, the prompt just pops up again rather than returning me to the film. (Again, even if that counts as an issue, it’s quite likely a Kodi thing rather than an OSMC thing).

OSMC just decided to update itself and removed my 3D capability. :rofl: Will maybe reinstall later.

I don’t have a right-eye-first title here, will try to get one …

Yes, that is a known problem. I had no time yet to look into it. But after some seconds it should be back to normal - I hope :-). At least that was my experience until now.

It took a couple of minutes to sort itself on one occasion. It seems to correct immediately if I skip back 10 seconds, though.

I’m not sure if I know how to do a short extract from a 3D file, but if I figure it out, is there anywhere you’d like me to upload one to?

Okay, figured it out. :laughing:

@tanio99 if you’d me to upload a 60-second extract from Life of Pi, let me know where you want it.

Playing Gravity I’m seeing occasional sudden bursts of macro-blocking. They always occur at the same point in the video, so I initially suspected the recording, but playing the same MKV file on my Raspberry Pi, there’s no issue; so I think it must be a rendering problem on the Vero 4K+.

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/xokeqiqucu

Again, if you want a short sample video I can try to extract one.

I’m seeing this on several films including A christmas carol. It also now happens if you play it in 2D so it must be some sort of decoding error.

If I restore the standard, non-3d-test-build version of OSMC and play the same file (in 2D) I don’t see any macro-blocking, so the effect is specific to the test build, even if it’s not specific to 3D within that build.

(Doing that also displays all the subtitles correctly, incidentally).